mystery shoppers?

my husband got a letter today in the mail and it enclosed a check...the check is legit and could be cashed. they sent the money because they want him to do a mystery shopping assignment. has anyone else done this? what would happen if we just cashed the check and didn't do the assignment? we are broke and need the money anyway....could my husband get in trouble for cashing the check and us using the money for something else?

busymamma503

Asked by busymamma503 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• It is a scam. Shred the check.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• LOL! Are you seriously considering cashing that? Ummm I would feed it to the dog... just sayin....
    Anonymous

• didnt' need your smart ass comment! thanks!
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I just checked out some mystery shopping websites this month and some are legit; they were all in agreement though that if you receive any payment up front it is a scam. I wouldnt do it.
    Pinkney

Answer by Pinkney at 4:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It is a scam, for sure. I work with a mysteryshop company and they have the scam posted on their website so that we all know not to do it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• BTW, legit mystery shop companies pay you AFTER you complete the assignment and do it the way that they asked you to do it. Plus you submit copies of your receipts for reimbursements if a purchase is required.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Even if the bank teller says it is a legitimate check, should you decide to cash it, do not spend the money for at least 3 weeks. That can be how long it takes for a scam check to be discovered and the bank will come back after you for the money, often plus fees. Did your husband sign up to be a secret shopper? What is the task they want him to do? The size of the check should also give you a clue.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 11:07 AM on Dec. 19, 2009