9 mo old baby boy ... still doesnt sleep thru the night

My baby, 9mos will not sleep thru the night, still takes a bottle. I know I'm "rewarding" him for waking but its the only way I can get him to sleep. I have tried the cry it out. Last night it took him 40 min of sreaming before he went to sleep. We started the process at 730. Then at 345am he was up, I gave him a bottle (I had to get up at 5 to go to work, I was tired, I gave in) put him in his crib and he started screaming right away. I listened to him scream for about 30 before I gave up and rocked him to sleep. Any other suggestions?? He has never been a good napper, only takes two 30 min naps, refuses to nap longer. Now that he has started crawling he will sometimes take one 2-3 hr nap. Between him & his older brother (3.5yrs) I'm going try w/not much sleep. Older bro takes an hr or more to get to sleep- see other question I posted today :)

amys2boys

Asked by amys2boys at 2:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The key is consistency. I would not pick him up and rock him. It's ok to go in every 10 or 20 mins. to comfort him, rub his back, but I would not pick him up. And do the same thing every time. That's what we did for my daughter and after about 2or 3 days she was sleeping through. DOes he have a blankey, or soft toy? My daughter sleeps with a soft little pillow that she strokes and holds onto when she is trying to put herself to sleep. She loves it. She is 9 mos. btw.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with waking up to eat, or pee, or when in pain or uncomfortable or lonely. WE as adults do that. The difference is that we can take care of ourselves. Babies do not sleep like we do. A sleep though should be considered 4 hours (5 or 6 is icing on the cake.)   Nine months is a time of growth spurts, more teeth, and milestones...all reasons that babies will wake up.

Parenting doesn't stop at sundown, kwim?
    Read this article for a better understanding: http://www.askdrsears.com/HTML/7/T070200.ASP

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• my daughter didnt sleep through the night til she was 2
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Rewarding him for waking? He's hungry.

It's normal for humans to wake at night until they are 3 or older. It is a survival mechanism that is hardwired in baby's brains. Human children are supposed to be breastfed, held, and sleep next to their mother. They are supposed to cry when they are alone and wake at night. If they didn't wake at night they might find themselves in a dangerous situation or they may have gotten separated from their mother. Ususally humans don't self wean until they are 3.5 or older and night nursing is common.

What you are trying to do by forcing your child to sleep through the night is to go against how his brain is hardwired. In many cultures today it is still important for babies to have these protective behaviors. The brain doesn't change just because a baby lives in a house and is being bottle fed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• According to Dr. Furber, pediatric sleep specialist, babies need to get to a point where their digestive system shuts down all night in order for them to get sufficient sleep, just like adults. It's not healthy for adults to get up in the middle of the night to eat, either.

I was having sleep troubles with my little one. I did NOT want to CIO, but I finally had to give up rocking him to sleep because he would always wake up half an hour later crying for attention. When I finally let him cry, he started sleeping really well. I checked him like every 10 and 15 minutes while he was crying, to reassure him and make sure he was ok. It was so hard at first, but now he rarely cries more than 5 minutes before conking out.

Does he fall asleep with a bottle during the day for his nap? Or when he goes to sleep at night? If so, you might want to stop that so he stops associating nursing with falling asleep. I know it's hard, good luck!
    Anonymous

• Pregnant women get up to eat for the same reasons a growth spurting baby does.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• He is nine months old! Why do you think that he should be sleeping through the night? He has a small stomach and wakes up hungry.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Get the book, Solve your childs sleep problems by Ferber.... you child probably needs a better routine and needs to break sleep associated habits like being fed to go to sleep.
    Did you have a method you were following when you did CIO? Ferber has a method that works and isn't cruel... so many parents think it means letting your child scream until they pass out... and that isn't it at all.
    We used this method for my son when he was 11 months and was still up 3-4 times/night. We changed his routine and stopped letting him fall asleep while eating... did the suggested CIO method and within 3 nights he was going to sleep on his own and only waking once... and within a couple of weeks not waking at all. He only cried TOTAL in the 3 nights 8 minutes.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• my daughter didn't sleep one night through til she was 5.I don't think you need to worry yet!
    I heard that having a consistent routine helps but to be honest i tried everything and nothing helped me!She wanted to get up several times a night and party!
    daisycat78

Answer by daisycat78 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Our number 4 is like that. She is 7 months and just this week started sleeping through the night. I would suggest to add in another feeding/more food during the day. Also, try putting him to bed a little later. A huge help is having a nighttime routine. Best of luck!
    VogueMum

Answer by VogueMum at 4:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2009