How can I make my home more inviting?

My house is a mess even though I do what I need to do to keep some things in order like everyday stuff...the kids, the dishes, the clothes you know the stuff that is being used every minute it seems like.

Well I go to a room and yes things are put away but yet I still feel like it looks messy/junky it overwhelms me I don't know what to do.

The kitchen could do some straighten it's mostly paper from the kids they made at school or tests that they have done or junk mail (usuallyIthrow it away as it comes in to avoid what I am saying but sometimes I just don't bc I may want to look through it later) I hope you girls get the idea on what I am saying I just want make my home inviting atleast for our family :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I WOULD GO THROUGH EVERYTHING THROW AWAY WHAT YOU NEED AND KEEP WHAT YOU DO NEED PUT A FOLDER SOMEWHERE IN YOU HOUSE FOR YOUR KIDS TO PUT THERE PAPERS IN FOR YOU TO LOOK AT ETC ....SO WHEN YOU HAVE TIME TO GO THROUGH IT YOU KNOW WHERE IT'S AT ETC ..... AS FOR MAKING YOUR HOUSE MORE INVITING ....JUST CLEAN AND MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS TIDY .....LIGHT CANDLES AND HAVE LITTLE SNACKS ..... GL
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I sometimes have the same problem. I have a very tiny home (as far as square footage goes). I have a 10 year old and a newborn. My daughters room has LOTS of storage beacuse its sooo tiny. So, over the door storage, little totes in teh closet ect...

Now the living room and kitchen are the main portion of my home and what I have noticed is that having nothing on the floor (other than furniture) makes the house really open up, then run the vaccuum and mop and it looks huge and nice and clean... Ive always thought that the house looks bigger after you vacuum even if there was no garbage on teh floor...

then i open up the windows for sun. If im having guests over I will also boil a pan of water and sprinkle cinnomin in it.. its better than ANY candle! Just be sure to replenish the water often because it can boil down quickly. Once its boiled you can turn it really low to simmer and it still smellls sooo good...
    Anonymous

• to make your house more inviting, flameless candles, flowers and nice family collage on one wall.
    Anonymous

• Baskets, candles, pictures.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I had to clear out some clutter and do some organizing to make my house feel nicer. I started by going through and getting rid of absolutely every bit of decorations that I didn't LOVE. LIke I do LOVE my Thomas Kinkade collection and all my family photos, so those stayed of course. I also love candles, so I have some nice wrought iron holders. I got rid of a ton of stuff, sold it and made some money. I bought a woven rag rug for the side door, which leads from the carport into the dining room, which made it nicer than just stepping in to linoleum flooring. Strung some Christmas lights around my bakers rack (use white lights and you can leave them in your dining room all year for nice lighting). If company is coming over, I try to have the floor picked up and vacuumed/mopped, bathrooms freshly wiped with a clorox wipe, a vanilla or buttercreme candle burning, lights dimmed (everything looks better in low light)...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Keep some decorative baskets on hand that you can toss little odds and ends into if you are doing a quick cleanup for company, then stash the baskets in a closet. Just make sure to clean them out at the end of every day. Hanging a coat rack over an entry table at the front door is also welcoming, giving guests a place to hang up their coats and stay a while. Having a dish or two in the sink is not a bad thing, but try to make sure you keep your dishes done up too, that helps alot. As for my kids bedrooms, they just had way too much stuff so I had them go through some stuff to donate to needy kids, then I bought some Sterilite rolling carts with 3 drawers to put all their toys and books into. I then took inexpensive posters and post cards, framed them (dollar tree always has cheap frames) and hung them in the kids rooms. Making sure their bed sheets are matching and beds are always made is a good thing too!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• What you can do is create folders and label them kids art. Test, Waiting to be sorted file for the things that are not filed but need to be and then put it in a binder you can put away so it doesn't clutter your home. Make it a habit to get rid of the mail right away. IF it's a magazine or catalog you want to look at later make a folder for those things and put it away in it's place. THe key is to make sure you have a place for things so that they're not sprawled out all over the place. Too many things on a counter top or table can make a house look cluttered.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2010