How can I get my 3 yr. old to calm down and not be so hiper??

Shake_2000

Asked by Shake_2000 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• cutt out some of the sugar in his diet have quiet time.
    Anonymous

• I would suggest that at least once a day, she get outside & burn some of her energy off. I would suggest going on walks with her, playing games in the yard, playing tag (you can get her easier, but she would have to run a bit faster & stronger to catch mommy) and these are things that will also help you guys spend some fun bonding time together. My friends DD is VERY hyper active, & sometimes she would BEG me to come to her house to take her DD on a walk because she was exhausted! (she had 4 children) I used to a few times a week, but I'm a mom myself now & can't do it as much anymore. But, it really helped. Walking with her made her tired & go to bed earlier. The nights she could not go walk, it was more difficult for her to settle down.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• 3 yr olds are going to be hyper at times, its part of childhood.
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• sorry, you did not specify whether or ot it was a girl or boy, I just say "she" out of habit...
    samurai_chica

• Many moms swear sugar makes kids hyper. Studies show it doesn't.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• find a time machine & go to 2013 lol.. she sounds normal.. what I do is have my kids play out side or exercise inside to work off that energy I wish I had.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Little kids are full of energy. Give him/her some active play time where they can RUN WILD, either outside, in the basement, etc. Once they work off the sillies they will be much calmer.

And it's hyper, with a y.
    Anonymous

• Well two things: First, have you tried taking Red Dye #40 out of their diet? When I did this for my son, it made all the difference in the world.

Secondly, and I don't mean this in a snippy way at all, so please don't take it that way, but DUH! Christmas is almost here and they are all getting excited...it's driving me crazy too, but hang in there, two weeks and most of that will be all over...LOL.
    Miracle_pg

Answer by Miracle_pg at 3:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Answered at 2:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 by: Gailll
    Many moms swear sugar makes kids hyper. Studies show it doesn't.

Another response with no factual support.

The fact is: Sugar has a HUGE affect on kids (and us as adults) as well as the above mentioned Red Dye #40. My MIL took that out of my husband's diet when he was young and it made a HUGE difference. But I would cut out the un-necessary sugar from her diet. My almost 3 year old gets NONE, except for fruit and the occasional cookie or Reece cup. But those are rare. Yes, a 3 year old IS going to be hyper at times, just do something to make that energy constructive. Have her help you dust or pick things up, go outside with her and 'race' or have her run to the end of the yard and find a 'green' leaf, or a 'brown' leaf... and she has to RUN. Burn off some of that energy! Turn on some Christmas music and dance with her. But honestly, cutting out the sugar will help!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Sugar does NOT make a child hyper!!!! I have a child with ADHD and sugar has no affect on him.

A 3 yr old is going to have a LOT of energy especially when they can't go outside and run it off. Make sure he gets outside, active time everyday (exercise inside when you can't get outside). Have him dance to fast music, do jumping jacks, just be active.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2009