What are Pagans?

I keep seeing it on the Religious forums....Is it the same as Atheism? ~ I'm not looking for a debate of whether its right or wrong, everyone has their own opinions, but what is the religion based on? Is it a "religion"? A set of beliefs?

christyg

Asked by christyg at 2:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I looked it up on Wikipedia (our answer for everything, right?) and I still dont understand. Is it just a "lack of a belief system"??? But, everyone believes in SOMETHING!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Lol its not a lack of belief system! I am wiccan. Paganism has a bunch of paths thats under that umbrella. http://www.paganfederation.org/paganism.htm
    http://paganismwicca.suite101.com/article.cfm/what_is_paganism
    http://www.wicca.com/celtic/wicca/wicca.htm
    Anonymous

• LOL....What is Wiccan????
    I'll look at your websites in a few min - and probably have more questions!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• There is no agreed upon definition of pagan. An atheist believes that gods do not exist.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• When used by non-Pagans it typically means anyone who isn't Jewish, Christian or Muslim. When used by people who self identify as Pagan it typically means neo-Pagan, one of several nature religions or a mixture of more than one. And now there will be a dozen other people who will nitipick those two definitions because it leaves out something they are or includes something they're not. As the saying goes, ask 12 people to define Pagan and you'll get 13 definitions. And then there are those of use who are constantly lumped in with them whether we want to be or not...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Most commonly known answer to 'What is a Pagan"? is any beliefs that do not fall under Christianity, Islam, Jewish...
    Being Pagan can mean you follow a path with many different parts to it and follow anywhere to just a Goddess to many different Gods...
    Being Atheist is NOT believing at all... to an Atheist God(s) do not exist ...

I am Wiccan I believe in a Mother Goddess and a Father God but NOT the God of the Christian Bible...
    Here are a few websites that you might like to read, but keep in mind, if you ask 12 Pagans this question you will surely get 13 answers... we are a very diverse set of ppls....

1.Here
    2. Here

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• So..... Pagan means you pretty much make up what you want to believe???? ~ I'm really not trying to be a smartass (even though I'm sure it sounds like it as I am typing).
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I am Wiccan I believe in a Mother Goddess and a Father God but NOT the God of the Christian Bible...
    -----------
    Who then? Mother Nature? A Greek God and Goddess? Or something else entirely different?
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 3:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• So..... Pagan means you pretty much make up what you want to believe????

No, it just means you follow one of the thousand or so religions that aren't based on the Bible. There's far more than there's room to list here, and you'd only find a fraction of them represented by members of CM.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It depends on the Pantheon of Gods you follow ... I follow the Celtic Gods (Pantheon) also my heritage...

You don't have to have any-one set Pantheon tho...

you can call on the God/dess of whom you may be in need of at that time...

HERE

We do not make up our beliefs as we can easly say the same for a non-Pagan and their beliefs...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2009