Malaria and Al Gore

Al Gore has made bold claims that climate change is aiding the spread of insect-borne diseases. The science does not support him, says Paul Reiter.

In his serious voice, Mr Gore presented a nifty animation, a band of little mosquitoes fluttering their way up the slopes of a snow-capped mountain, and he repeated the old line: Nairobi used to be ‘above the mosquito line, the limit at which mosquitoes can survive, but now…’ Those little mosquitoes kept climbing.

The truth? Nairobi means ‘the place of cool waters’ in the Masai language. The town grew up around a camp, set up in 1899 during the construction of a railway, the famous ‘Lunatic Express’. There certainly was water there — and mosquitoes. From the start, the place was plagued with malaria, so much so that a few years later doctors tried to have the whole town moved to a healthier place.

More lies from Al Gore?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am convinced that Gore wouldn't recognize the truth if it flew up and bit him in the ass. He even said that it is ok to exaggerate the facts and lie to the public if it jump-starts your cause. He believes in lying.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• http://www.spectator.co.uk/essays/all/5592863/the-inconvenient-truth-about-malaria.thtml

Is there anything this man won't lie about?

Is there anyone who still believes a word he says?
    Anonymous

• I don't whether it is 100% true or not. Coming from Al Gore, I wouldn't put much initial faith in his claims.. Al Gore is a Climate-Profiteer... He and his cronies stand to make HUNDREDs of MILLIONS of dollars off of "climate change"....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Gore is a liar and he is not an environmentalist. He is an opportunist. I am sure his old friend Fred Phelps could tell people a thing or two about that.lol
    Anonymous

• I think we have all learned by now that we cannot believe what Al Gore says. If his lips are moving, he is lying. I mean seriously, he invented the internet, the interior of the earth is at least a million degrees hot, there is a 75% chance that there will be no polar ice in just a couple years, and now this? Seriously, how can anyone believe him? He spouts off what we peons should do, but he isn't going to start living "green", not for nothing, cause he can afford to live like he does.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Who knows, now that it is "climate change" and not "global warming", nairobi might get below the snow line again soon! ROFL!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Al Gore is not a scientist, but he is certainly making millions selling his faked scientific facts.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It's not very nice of me, but I think it is hilarious when he gets in front of a microphone and spouts off something, and then the scientist whom he quoted comes back and says -- no, that is NOT what I said. Is it possible that he is channeling all the global warming into his own head, and his brain cells are quickly overheating? What is wrong with the man????
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• LOL, 29again! At a certain point, you would think he would investigate the actual facts before speaking. *shaking head*
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It doesn't matter what he says. There will always be braindead people who believe him.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2009