Any advice on traveling with a newborn?

My husband is taking leave saterday for christmas and we are going home to visit family and I dont know how to handle traveling with a newborn. My baby is two weeks old. Any advice??

armywife698959

Asked by armywife698959 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Traveling with a 2 week old is not recommended. You should stay home for your health and the health of your baby. Your doctor and/or the baby's doctor should have told you that you couldn't travel.

It's too soon after childbirth for you. You are still recovering and should still be taking it easy. Babies are born with a very weak immune system. That is why they should not be taken out until 6-8 weeks after birth in flu and RSV season. They should be kept home. If your baby is bottle fed the baby is getting no protection from things like IgA that is in breastmilk.

You could risk your baby getting RSV, flu, pneumonia, menningitis or other serious illness by traveling. I know it's hard to not be with family with the holidays but it is much harder having a baby hospitalized at a major children's hospital with RSV.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Feed the baby just before you leave and you may make it through the first part with sleep (if lucky you'll get 3-4 hours). Plan to stop a rest areas (map them out ahead of time) to feed either by breast or bottle -- do not feed a baby that young in the car seat. If bottle feeding you can get hot water at rest areas to heat bottle or bags by immersion -- if you are mixing formula use bottled water of course. Expect extreme clinginess the first 48 hours after arrival and cluster feeds that first night.

I travelled 15 hours with a 9 week old round trip.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I wouldnt travel with a baby that young but if you have to you have to. Depends on how long the trip is and whether or not your driving or flying.I would ask the babys peditrician for tips.
    MamasGirls4ever

Answer by MamasGirls4ever at 3:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• As for health, wash your hands, change baby in the car not in the restrooms, have your SO bring you your food if buying, and when stretching your legs stay away from people -- wearing her in a sling will keep away curious hands. Even when with family be smart about people who hold her and make sure the was their hands with plain soap and water -- ask them not to kiss her.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Gaill is even in here? Too funny. Her poor son that lives with her or she lives with must go nuts with all the advice she gives out. lol
    Anonymous

• How long of a trip are we talking? Overnight or just a day trip? How long is the ride? that would help.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

LMFAO!! Yeah, Gaill she asked for advice on HOW to travel with a newborn, not whether she should or not! Do you really think she will cancel her plans, because of what YOU said? lmao
    Anonymous

• Gaill is correct and her reasons valid to take under serious consideration.

Ask a question, but you may no like the answer.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Gailll doesn't care she is a bored old woman who thinks she knows all some of her advice is really awful and it is always about her.lol

I would make sure to feed before you leave and just take your time getting there. I traveled when my son was that age I was fine. Sure a new mom should rest but many moms of today have doctors who do not treat pregnancy as an illness so we exercised and were active during pregnancy and recovered more quickly after giving birth. Have a great trip and enjoy your little one.
    Anonymous

• ditto gailll...But if it is a must keep your baby covered and make sure all family washes their hands before touching/holding her. Stand firm on that.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2009