• In the Spotlight:

Do you think pregnant women should all be tested for drugs as part of their prenatal care?

Without any bias on race or economic status, just everyone who is pregnant. Do you think this is a good idea or the government having too much power? ...and if you are for it do you think the women who test positive should be criminally prosicuted? Do you think its unlawful to have your medical records shared without your consent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, and I also disagree with the current requirements that they need to be tested for STDs. My insurance won't cover stuff like that, so I was out a few hundred dollars just to get a bunch of tests that I knew would be negative! It's a huge waste of money for those of us who aren't losers, and it would be better spent on getting ready for the baby.
    Anonymous

• Don't they normally? I know when I was pregnant both times, they did a drugs and disease test. So what? Maybe mom did something before she knew she was pregnant. She needs to know it's still in her system. And the drs need to know that they may be dealing with a child that will be born with special needs because of drugs.

I just saw a show about a woman who was preggo and on methadone. the baby went through withdrawal. It was heartbreaking to watch. You could see this 2 day old child's pain from the withdrawal.

I don't think they should be prosecuted, but they need to know for the health of the baby and of mom. I waver though, if mom is still actively using. That is a hard one for me. But I also know that when preg women detox, it can end in death for the fetus...it's a very tough line to try and balance.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 3:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I think if your care provider suspects you're doing drugs, they should be able to test you. I think that if you're dumb enough to use drugs while pregnant and a test proves it, then it IS a criminal matter, not to mention a child welfare issue that needs to be brought to the attention of CPS. As far as unlawful - well, we have no problem with ER attendents being mandatory reporters - that is, people who are required to notify the police and CPS if they suspect child abuse. Why should a mother doing drugs while pregnant be any different?
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 3:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Lili, I had to sign consent for the STD testing. I always agree to that because I had some unsafe . . . . encounters before getting married five years ago, as did my husband. Since some STD can lie dormant for years, I figure better safe than sorry. I've never ever been asked to take a drug test while pregnant.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 3:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yes I think they should it can give you a clear view of the possible issues with the pregnancy.

No, the woman should not be prosecuted because she may have acted in that behavior before knowing she was pregnant. She may pee on the stick and change her whole life. AND you have to go with the law, the law says a fetus is just an attachment to the body until it breaths. So that would go against the whole her body her choice crap. Look there are those people who are too selfish to stop but some really want something better too.

Yes it is unlawful for your medical records to be released to anyone without your consent and it should stay that way.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I think if your care provider suspects you're doing drugs, they should be able to test you.

What would warrant a docs suspicion? In the past its been class and race.
    Anonymous

• No but only because the type of women who would knowingly use drugs while pregnant, would rather just skip prenatal care alltogether before they gave up their drugs. These babies need to be monitered.
    I think that right before delivery, they need to test the mother and test the baby right after delivery. That way they know what type of emergency care will be needed. The baby should be taken into custody and the Mother should be prosecuted for endangering the life of a child.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Also, you cant go based on a Doc's suspicion. It has to be all or nothing. My cousin had my nephew at a hospital where they first treated her like crap because the baby's father wasn't around and then drug tested the baby on NO GROUNDS. He was half black by the way. She was pissed....I would be too if I were singled out like that. They could have avoided all of the emotional pain if it was standard to test babies.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• all 5 of my pregnancies I was tested for many things including drugs, stds and anemia. Seriously they took 6 vials of blood.
    Anonymous

• I think it would just discourage women from seeking prenatal care. Things like marijuana can be in your system for up to 2 months after use, can you imagine having to wait because you don't want to loose your child.
    Anonymous