How would you handle this situation?

I work with a very uptight woman who constantly makes little remarks to others and myself about how I should be eating and drinking throughout my pregnancy. Our desks are so close though that you can hear anything anyone says with no problem and she knows this.
(She makes these comments because I do drink soda - like one can a day at work and some days two if I am really worn out and need the caffeine... and also because I do not eat salads for lunch and such.)
I have made comments aloud and directly to her already that I do not care about her opinion and I don't need other people's opinions.... but should I go one step further and just plain as day say something to her face like "Your comments are really aggrivating me and I don't respect your disrespect for me."

What would you do? I know I am super hormonal right now and the smallest things make me tick... but wouldn't this drive you absolutely nuts?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 3:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If it were me, I'd talk to an HR person and have her disciplined. HR is really the best way to handle these kinds of situations in an office environment, especially if you have already told her this bothers you and she continues to do it.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yes it would drive me nuts. I have had to tell people when pregnant that I make the best decissions for me. Keep your thought to yourself.
    Anonymous

• In my head I would be hitting her:) Tell her you and your doctor have it under control. I would also go to your supervisor and let them know.
    VogueMum

Answer by VogueMum at 3:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I would just roll my eyes and not say anything. I would probably eat and drink healthier in front of her too. I don't like confrontation.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• maybe say something like "i'm glad you are concerned but i would appreciate it if you kept your opinions to yourself on matters pertaining to my pregnancy from now on"...? maybe also say you will extend the same respect to her on any personal non-work-related issues.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• lol but i agree with mompam, that is probably what i would do. i would wish i would do what i said but i hate confrontation too so i'd probably just do nothing.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I have to disagree with doing nothing. It will only lead to your level of impatience and your resentment for this woman to build up over time. You're hormonal right now yes, does that make you unable to express yourself effectively? No! What it can do is eventually lead to you completely snapping on her and throwing your soda in her face one day or something else negative in a fit of pent up rage. That won't be good for you, your baby, or your position @ work. I would approach her in the ladies room or somewhere else private and let her know exactly how I feel about her minding my business. Threaten to go to HR and file a verbal harrasement complaint b/c the things she's saying are causing you unnecessary emotional stress during your pregnancy.
    Dmommy4

Answer by Dmommy4 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• If she knows so much about being pregnant then she should know how hormonal and emotional you are right now and back off. If you don't like it tell her, but be polite unless she was being rude to you about her opinions.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 6:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2009