Curious & anxious first time mom...........

....so I am curious for all of you who have children (or a child), when did you go into labor (were you early, late etc), and how did it happen (water broke, gradual contractions etc)??? I am just 2 weeks away, feeling crampy and achie........don't know when its gonna happen and thought ask other ladies about their experiences. Thanks!

BLoNdIe121679

Asked by BLoNdIe121679 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• On average, first time moms go 8 days past their due date. Just FYI lol. The end of pregnancy often mimics early labor symptoms.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I was almost 2 weeks late. I was laying in bed around 8 am and my tummy started hurting. I was tired so I rolled over and nothing would stop the pain so it hit me DUH your having your kid lol. The doctors had to break my water.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• With both my girls I was early. 9 days with my first. My water broke late one night. With my second I was 4 weeks early. I had contractions start early one morning. At first I really did not think it was. but as they got closer I know 2 hrs later baby was coming.

I know as a first time Mom it is hard to tell. But you will know when it is time.
    Anonymous

• when i was 40w6days, i was crampy all night long and couldn't sleep well. woke up that morning thinking about not going to work. slept in a bit, took a shower at 9 am, my water broke in the shower, i thought but wasn't sure, went downstairs for breakfast, felt more fluid come out into my robe when i sat down, within 2 hours i was in active labor with fast, intense contractions.

i would definitely expect to be pregnant for at least 3 more week =) but i also have 2 friends and a cousin who had their first baby 3-4 weeks early. anything from 37-42 weeks is pretty common, but i agree that 41 weeks is average for a first timer. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• one of those friends just had her baby 4 weeks early today btw. mom and baby are doing good. i bet she is surprised to have her daughter so soon though!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Mine were all different (4), and much like people, every birth/pregnancy is soo different. On average, your water doesn't break before contractions begin. For me, I knew when I started getting an achy feeling in my back and belly, and nothing made it feel better. Trust your intuition!!! Mommy intuition is such an amazing thing!
    VogueMum

Answer by VogueMum at 3:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i was thirty eight weeks to the day. My doctor had told me that starting then, if I got contractions to come in and he would get things started......I started getting some so I took a long walk to try and keep it going, I am 5'4 and I was 100 lbs before pregnancy, 125 at the end, I have a really small frame and was DONE! Soooo i went in and by the next evening.....Kristofer Had arrived! I was in labor for 24 hours and pushed for 4 before having an emergency c-section, I am too small to have a baby naturally apparently, poor thing had bruises on his ears from trying to get through a space to small.....Anyway what I'm trying to get out here is that once it is over, it doesn't matter, it could be awful, or it could be flawless, but all that matters is that in the end your little one will be in your arms. Just take a deep breath and remember that. Believe me, once you have that baby in your arms, you won't care about anything esle
    Hulkgrrl

Answer by Hulkgrrl at 3:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• 1ST-38 WKS GRADUAL CONTRACTIONS 16 HRLABOR PUSH 8 MTS
    2ND 37 WKS WATER BROKE 12 HR LABOR PUSH 6MTS
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My firstborn came 5 days before his due date (so not ALL first time moms go overdue!).
    I honestly had no idea I was in early labor--it felt just like braxton hicks contractions to me!
    I went in for my 39 week checkup and was dilated to 4 and 80 percent effaced, so they admitted me, broke my water and I had my son 10 hours later! :)
    Good luck to you!
    Dove14

Answer by Dove14 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I was camping at a Renaissance Fair 5 days before my due date. I woke up @ 6 AM w/ a slight period sort of achy cramp. I had them before, but this time they didn't go away when I stood up & there were a few drops of blood. I walked around most of the day, talking w/ friends, watching shows. In the afternoon, I laid down a bit. When my contractions were CONSISTENTLY 6 -8 min apart, (about 5 pm) I went home, showered, laid in the bath (which was heavenly!). during the bath, the contractions started rapidly getting closer together (2-3 min). So about 9 pm we went to the hospital. They broke my water @ 9.5 C & Azalea was born, w/o the use of drugs, at 12:21 am! So altogether 18 hours of labor, 23 min of pushing. Only the last few hours were intense, & all the walking and the bath really helped a lot!
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2009