Not trying to be a Grinch here but.....................

How much $$ is appropriate to spend on grown (21) step children?? He wants Eric Clapton tickets to the tune of $300.00 and I just think that is a bit excessive even if we HAD the money.. we have a 7 month old baby ....

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 3:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Holidays

• I don't think that's too much if you have it. He's your son too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• We spend between 50-75 on my niece who spends a lot of the year with us since her bio-father (DH brother) is out of state.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I am 21 and my parents spend at least that on me, and they have four other children. I'm not saying it isn't a little excessive, but they DO have the money, and they WANT to spend it on us. If you have it, I say go for it, but if you don't, don't feel pressured to. You're right, you have a baby that isn't an adult and needs more time, money, etc. That is my opinion anyway...
    Anonymous

• That is too much money but if dad has indulged his kids like this all their lives then he expects it. Dad needs to tell them that now that they are adults they shouldn't expect such extravagant presents.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Um are you serious? 300.00 is a stupid amount of money to spend on any one person at Christmas! Even if you had it so spend!!!
    Anonymous

• he wants a THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR ticket? Holy crap...do they have cheaper seats?
    I think it is a little much!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I guess I should add in light of the other post that my own kids only get about 250 between them. If My niece lived with me or we would spend about 100 -125 just like we do on our kids. The important thing is I pick things I know she will love.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• OP: He wants TWO tickets that amount to $300.00. Let me also add that his dad never spoiled him, he is in college and has NEVER had a job, not one and he cannot be bothered to even drive to Atlanta to see his Dad and new baby sister but he can drive to Atlanta for a concert or to go to a restaurant or store.. I know this sounds bitter, I am not...I just think that it is a lot to ask ..
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 3:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Truthfully, it is all up to his father your DH. If he want to spend $300 on his son. I personally think that is way to much money.

Answer by louise2 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I think that whatever you feel is appropriate (and that you can afford) is great. I do think that experiences together outweigh anything material as it creates memories together that will last a lifetime~and it doesn't have to be extravagant. Sounds corny, but it's true.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2009