My son is getting his first shots! Help! I am a nervous wreck!

We go tomorrow and I have already asked the doc to only do two shots tomorrow and two another day. He had juandice when he was first born and had to get his heel pricked about seven times! I cried the first time and made his daddy go in there with him the rest of the times. I was there to consol after they were done. And I will be alone tomorrow!

HarpersMom715

Asked by HarpersMom715 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't do it! Wait until he is older.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Stop. Breathe. Relax. It will be okay. :)
    It will probably hurt you more than it will hurt your baby.

If you are nursing, doing so directly afterwards can help comfort your child. Otherwise just your loving arms will be comfort enough!

It'll be all right! :)
    Dove14

Answer by Dove14 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Its really hard to watch, but they seriously get over it so quick!! My son had jaundice too, and they had to draw blood from his heel too. Its always going to be hard, no matter what age! I still cry more than my son does when he gets his shots, and he's 16 months! You'll be fine!
    PrincessRSX03

Answer by PrincessRSX03 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• gaill is her baby and is her choice.

look i have two kids both vacinated on time. i have never been nervous about theri shots. am the one that holds them down, i have no problem with it. relax it will be k. i usually give them tylenol before the app or a spoonfull of sugar. it seems to help. ds is almost 10 mts and so fat he hascried with one shot the other ones he had no idea what was going on. same with dd. it takes alot for my kids to cry. it will be k . just remember is for thier health!! that always made me feel alot better
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Don't listen to Gaill. lol

If it is too hard on you can you wait until your husband can be there with you? Doing them one at a time is a great thing to do that way if there is a reaction you know which shot caused it. Make sure to bring along some Motrin for fever and just comfort the heck out of your little one. We selective and delayed vaccinations but we have many allergies in our family.
    Anonymous

• I definelty will be going tomorrow. He does have chubby little legs so hopefully it won't be too painful. Thank you so much for replying to my post. Someone told me about this website and so far it's been great! I am a stay at home mom in a lttle town, so it's nice to have some adult conversation
    HarpersMom715

Answer by HarpersMom715 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Wow this must be pick on Gaill day.

My children were both Vaccs on the recommended intervals with no problems-though waiting would be fine to. I just brought the Tylenol with me and dosed them when we got there. The shots were over in a matter of seconds. DS screamed for about 2 minutes and DD didn't cry at all! Every baby will react differently just be ready to 'save' him form those 'mean' nurses! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• With all the viruses going on get db vaccinated. Give your db tylenol 30min before the appointment so that by the time db gets the shots the tylenol has kicked in making it less uncomfortable. I know it sucks to see your db in sooo much discomfort but it is necassary for db health. The other reason for your db to get so many shots is to prevent tb, mumps, and rhubela. It was hard for me to deal with too, but I did my best to keep in mind that the pain was worth protecting my baby from diseases that could possibly lead to their health failing. My sis also had probles in this areaand often walked out. If you find the situation becomming too unbearable let the nurse know and ask if someone could step in so you can step out until they're done. It doesn't mean your a horrible mother!!! The nurses will be supportive through it, I promise! They deal with new mommies every day and know every mom reacts differently to their db doc apt.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Wow this must be pick on Gaill day.

No some of us make sure to counter act the bad advice and judgement she gives out online. She is a very lonely old lady who has no life and sometimes gives some very bad advice. So some of us make sure to spread the word she is a fraud and try to counter balance her with good advice and encouragement.
    Anonymous

• You can wait until he is older. Do your research and decide if this is what you want to do and when you want to do it.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2009