General anesthesia and 7 months pregnant?!?!?

I am really worried about my sister in law! She is 7 months along and fell at work this morning, landing on her elbow. To what I understand, she dislocated either her elbow or her shoulder and has a minor fracture. She asked the ambulance to take her to the hospital that her ob/gyn is affiliated with, but they ignored her request and took her to a hospital that everyone in my family avoids (it's only 1 mile difference for heavvens sake!). Now they are saying they want to put her under anesthesia to reset her dislocation, which I have never heard of. I thought if anything they might give her a local, not putting her completely out! This sounds very dangerous for the baby! Has anyone heard of this or had to have anesthesia while pregnant?

earthmama727

Asked by earthmama727 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Health

• Hop in the car, go get her, and take her to the other hospital!
    Anonymous

• I agree with take her to the other hospital.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• She doesn't have to stay. Tell her to call her ob and request that she be transferred. If that is not an option she can sign herself out probably against medical advice but she is totally allowed to. I would never do anything without prior OB doctor approval.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Call her OB/GYN and have them stop that. I was 7 months pregnant and had to have surgery and they said they couldn't do a general. I was miserable during surgery but my baby was safe.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I guess they chose not to switch hospitals...Her OB did give the go ahead. I guess she was only "under" for about 30-45 minutes. But they had her wait a good 6-7 hours while being given a "minimal" amount of morphine for the pain. i am so pissed right now. I mean, I guess they are all "fine", baby is kicking and was monitored during the procedure, but you never know what effects it will have, and I think they at very least could have taken care of her sooner to limit her exposure to the drugs. I know it's not my baby, but it is my lil niece in there dang it...
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 1:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I'm glad to hear everything worked out in the end. I would call the ambulance company and see if there were a reason why they didn't listen to her request on where to go. It may have been the other ER was closed to ambulances or something.

You'll be a great caring aunt, btw.

Cafe Jenn
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 2:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2009