Jesus said to do unto others, but does that mean ALL others?

I kn0w a person. I really don't like this person because about a year ago she was making fun of me to my daughter. I fell down and broke my wrist. She started laughing and told my daughter I must have deserved it. A few months ago she was talking about me again. She is on welfare and has no money to buy her kids gifts. She has 3kds. I told my husband I want to buy a gift for each kid. My friend, daughter and husband says no way not after what she has said about me in the last year.

OK if I had no money I would want someone to give my kids a gift. I know this mother has been on welfare for about 2 yrs but that is not the kds fault on the other hand, I understand what my husband says. He would rather give the church money. What the Christian thing here? Give the gifts and do unto others or give to someone else? It is not the kids fault their mother refuses to work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That is a tough one, but you live with your husband. God knows your heart and what you want to do but you also need to keep the peace at home.
    Anonymous

• You already KNOW the right answer. ~ WWJD?
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• goes against his husband's wishes? That is the rock and hard spot I am in and Jesus didnt have a husband.
    Anonymous

• Jesus didnt have a husband
    ------------------------------
    LOL!!!!!
    Thats a tough one.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• even though she was mean, it isnt great to see others suffer (especially since her children are involved). I think it would be a nice gesture to give them all a small gift if that's what you want to do...and it doesnt have to be the most expensive one ya know? it's the thought that counts. If she still thinks less of you after that kind gesture, this comes to show you some people just don't change and are mean-natured. If your hubby wants to give the church money, maybe you could do both? a little here, a little there? Or just donate a little extra to the church next time, since they accet donations all year long?
    Anonymous

• Maybe this should go along with the submissive question.
    Let him be the head of the house and make the final decision, but you cans till try to persuade him, right?
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I'd wonder if she would even accept the gifts from you if she is that dislikable. Why not drop the gifts off at her door anonymously?
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I agree with the first statement. WWJD. Jesus loved everybody, even the people who persecuted him. The next time you or your husband commits a sin, remember, Jesus died for everybody, not just the nice people. Remember the stories in the Bible, where Jesus had "bad" people sit with him and eat. He LOVED everyone. I know in your heart you know it's the right thing to do. I also know it is okay to go against your husband when he is wrong, and in this case he is. Just remind him why we are able to make mistakes, and maybe it will help him to change his opinion. Just because he is male does not make him right!!!
    sktr_mom

Answer by sktr_mom at 5:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

•  Giving the children gifts has nothing to do with their mother. The children would love receiving a gift from you. I'm sure it would make YOU feel great. And that's what its about right? I really think so...Its better to give than to receive. Your a good person. Just don't expect her to change, she just might remain a bitch.

jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I would give the kids gifts. Maybe even buy her a little something as well. It would be a nice gesture and she might turn for the better :) God bless and have a Merry Christmas
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 5:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2009