General anesthesia while 7 months pregnant??

I am really worried about my sister in law! She is 7 months along and fell at work this morning, landing on her elbow. To what I understand, she dislocated either her elbow or her shoulder and has a minor fracture. She asked the ambulance to take her to the hospital that her ob/gyn is affiliated with, but they ignored her request and took her to a hospital that everyone in my family avoids (it's only 1 mile difference for heavvens sake!). Now they are saying they want to put her under anesthesia to reset her dislocation, which I have never heard of. I thought if anything they might give her a local, not putting her completely out! This sounds very dangerous for the baby! Has anyone heard of this or had to have anesthesia while pregnant?

earthmama727

Asked by earthmama727 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i always thought it was a big no no to do general during pregnancy. i hope she is ok. she can insist on being transfered bc she is not in life threatening condition.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 6:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I had gall bladder surgery at 32 weeks and was put to sleep woke up fine as did baby. In fact she kicked me as soon as I woke up and it hurt so bad. I figured that was her way of saying you suck lol. Anyways I was told they never had a problem giving anesthesia to pregnant women in the past and they monitored the heart beat before and after.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 6:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• But I would have the hosp call her doc first to get the okay; if they wont then she needs to call ob herself. I have never heard of anyone going under for dislocated shoulder either.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 6:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• she should ask her obgyn Im not sure if its safe but even if they said it was I would still be terrified
    Anonymous