What do I to when my 16-month-old twin boys fight over a toy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take the toy away they are fighting over, give the other twin a toy they like or buy 2 of everything. At this age they are not likely to share, that comes much later.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I agree, take it away. My 3 and 1 year old fight over toys all the time. If it gets out of hand, I make them put everything away until later. My son says his toys are on a "time out" lol.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 4:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Take the toy away. I would give a warning to them and tell them that you are going to take the toy if they can't play nicely. If that doesn't stop it then take the toy away. I did this with a friends kids when I was watching them and they eventually had no toys left to play with by the time she got home. The knew the rules b/c these were her rules. Just be patient it will get better when they get the hang of what it going on.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My twin boys are 16 months also and have certain toys that they always fight over and sometimes its just one needing the toy that the other one has... As mentioned in a PP I try to give one another toy to play with. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. As far as buying 2 of a toy, it doesn't really help because an identical toy means nothing to a toddler. They want the one the other has and the one you're trying to give them is not the same, even though it is.
    With the toys that they get really angry about while fighting, I usually tell them they have to share (whether or not they understand me) and if they can't I will have to take it away. They never play nice and I end up taking it away and hiding it. They forget about it and move on. Good luck
    lilblufyrfly

Answer by lilblufyrfly at 11:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2009