How do I get my 14 month old to sleep???? He doesn't sleep throughout the night. He will go to bed around 10pm and wake up at 2am and stay up till 5am. Help!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Have you tried letting him cry in the night when he gets up? My 18 month old daughter used to get up a couple times in the night and I finally just stopped getting her when she cried and she started sleeping through the night. Also, try slowly changing his sleep schedule. Try waking him up around 7 or 8am, letting him take a one or two hour nap around 12, then he should be good and ready for bed by 8 or 9pm.
    Anonymous

• What is your schedule like through out the day?? Does he take longs naps in the afternoon? If that is the case you may want to shorten them or make them earlier. My son will be 1 next Wednesday and he takes two naps and sleeps at night. There are times when he takes a longer nap or naps later just because he was stubborn to lay down. Then he is up until about 1 am and really active. He usually goes to sleep about 10 pm here also.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I have a 17 1/2 mo DD. She has been a good sleep from the beginning. When she wakes in the night, and I know she isn't teething or sick, I let her CIO. It doesn't take long and in 10 mins she is back asleep. She goes down at 7 and gets up at 9. You may want to adjust your LO's schedule so that he is more tired at night.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My first impression is to suggest getting him to bed earlier, because everything I've read on sleep training says that a big thing that makes it hard for kids to sleep is being overtired.

But mostly there are lots of different sleep training methods out there. A lot seem to work, so you pick one that you think will leave you (and the rest of the waking family) the most sane...and then be consistent...and be prepared for the first 3 or so nights of the training to be utterly exhausting - but worth it if you stick to it.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• A baby that young should really go to bed between 7 & 9 at the latest. And I also would let him cry it out, unless you can tell there is truly something wrong. He will eventually tire himself out and go back to sleep. It will be rough the first several nights, but it will get easier.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley worked wonders for us. I can't bear to listen to my baby cry and she was sleeping through the night within a week using this way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2009