Do you think it's the parents' fault when a teenager starts a bad habbit like drugs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Honestly I don't; unless the child developed curiosity by seeing one or both parents doing it. Kids are so influenced by peer pressure and society that its not always the parents fault. The parents I could see blaming are the ones throwing the raves and having liquor and drugs available to the minors. I lost a school mate when I was15 to a house party that had liquor and a variety of drugs available to any and every one who went! He was 16. They gave him his car keys despite acknowledging he was drunk and high out of his mind. He went down a side street going 80mph, slammed into a tree that went under the passanger side slamming his best friend into the hood of the car killing him on contact, he then hit a utility pole and finally stopped when he wrapped the car around another tree. He fought for his life, the docs saidif he'd pull through he would be like a vegtable. He passed the next morning due to his complications. napf!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 5:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• This is a tough one. While I don't like to put blame on parents for everything, I have to wonder when a teenager starts in with drugs or alcohol what is going on at home. I know that some teens will do what they want no matter what but I also know that all my cousins, my friends and associates were told no booze, drugs or sex and actually listened. Maybe it's because our parents were willing to follow through. Those I knew who were into all that, my husband included, had no consequence to face at home. I believe it's all in the parenting.
    Anonymous

• Some parents give their kids the drug talk, but can only do so much. When the child is older, even with the drug talk in the back of their heads, they might do drugs due to peer pressure or curiousity...or not at all. The parent did their part and their best, so no it isnt them to blame. If the parent does/did drugs and shares their funny memories with their kids, and the kid ends up doing drugs, no surprise there! The parent is to blame. There should always be a middle ground. even if the parent did do drugs, they should always make it a point that it isnt smart, safe or healthy to abuse anything, or risk getting in trouble with the law. I have experience, and if it ever comes up, I will be honest with my son, but make it a point to tell him I was "young and stupid" and it's not worth it.
    Anonymous

• Nope. My drug use had nothing to do with my mother, simply my curiosity.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• That greatly depends on a lot of variables. More times then most children learn from their peers. They get into the wrong crowd, they expieriment, and they get addicted. Teenagers are very impressionable.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• some times yes, some times no
    Anonymous

• But do you think the parents should have caught on before it was an out of control problem? How do you not realize your kid is messed up? Serious; not 'troll'
    Anonymous

• Some parents might work a lot or could be in denial that their kid has issues? I know my mom worked a lot, usually the only time she was home she was asleep.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Only if the parent gave the kid the drugs or alcohol. Otherwise, it usually starts as a kid being curious and gettin hooked.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• No. There are so many reasons why someone begins to use illegal drugs. One reason is to actually self medicate. I have seen so many adults with a true disorder or illness and they seek ways to self medicate to stop the madness. Even if a parent has an issue with drugs or alcohol that doesn't give anyone the right to blame their addiction on others. The first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem. Another step is to take full responsibility for your issue. Not to put blame on others. So I personally would not blame anyone but I simply acknowledge there is a problem and then assist that person in moving forward. Playing the blame game helps no one and accomplishes nothing. Reducing the risk for children do include parents who do not use illegal drugs or abuse prescription drugs but that is only part of it not the entire piece of the puzzle.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:05 AM on Dec. 18, 2009