I want as natural of a birth as possible. What can I do to prepare?

With my son I had a completely natural birth on accident. I ended up at the hospital at 10 cm because they sent me home earlier that day claiming I was in false labor. I was in no way prepared, but still made it through. This time I want another natural labor....I just want to be more prepared. Since it will be a hospital birth (it's the only option around here), there's only so much I can do as far as relaxing and natural pain relief methods. What are some tips you can give me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Go take a class to learn the different positions, breating techniques, etc. that can help in this. There are books and tons of online articles to help you.

I can't really help much because I ended up getting an epi (after being up for 50 hours and being in labor for 24 of them).
    Anonymous

• Oh, also just keep in mind that no matter what your PLAN is, it is possible that things won't work out the way you want them to, so please try to stay calm if things do not go according to plan.
    Anonymous

• read "natural childbirth, the bradley way" by susan mccutcheon rosegg. the best book i've ever read!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Take classes
    Read everything
    Enjoy your new family member!

Answer by rkoloms at 5:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• well, people will disagree with me, but DO NOT LABOR IN THE HOSPITAL. there is no reason for a healthy woman to be in a hospital while in labor. walk around a park, go to the mall and do some window shopping, cook/bake, hang out with friends- i had good friends of mine around to keep me company, and just went about business as usual until i knew i needed to squat & push. with dd i spent less than 30 minutes in hospital before she was birthed, and less than 2 with ds... i cut it close with the 3rd, but it was not MY fault, my ex didn't believe i was in labor because i wasn't screaming and crying like they do in the TV shows. so he refused to drive me to the birth center which was an hour away- almost had DS in the car.

just keep in mind that if you labor in the hospital they will impose their "policies" (which you can DENY. you have RIGHTS. ENFORCE them.)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• * less then 2 hours with ds
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• OP here. I'm wanting to stay home as long as possible...but how will I know when it's been long enough? My hospital is 45 minutes away. But, when I was in "false" labor with my son I loved my nice warm shower and walking around and napping in my own environment. Hubby's still a bit freaked about how things went with our son's birth, so I'll have to convince him I don't need to go in at the 1st contraction! Lol. Thanks for the tips!
    Anonymous

• i agree w ObbyDobbie. i did labor in the hospital, but only bc i was induced. you will be way more comfortable at home, w your loved ones. my friends and family were there for the majority of my labor at the hospital, but i would have rather been at home. im hoping to be able to do it naturally this time. good luck!
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 6:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Good luck. I had two unmedicated natural births in a hospital setting with a midwife and while I would have preferred to be at home DH was not comfortable with that. Make sure your midwife/OB is on board with the natural birth don't just take their word for it ask other women who have birthed with them . I have heard of several local OBs doing the bait and switch with patients in the delivery room. Second stay at home as long as possible. Since you have been through this before you likely have somewhat of an idea how you feel when you actually hit transition (though every birth is different). My midwife said contractions 5 minutes apart to come in. Well I waited until they were about 3 minutes apart.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i think staying at home to labor for a long time is a good idea. =) also find an OB or CNM who is supportive. who will say you don't have to have continuous EFM, don't have to have an IV etc. a hospital with a tub to labor in can be awesome!

i had a somewhat natural birth in a hospital with my son. i had an IV but i didn't have any pain meds, and i was free to move around, i labored in the water for a while and that really helped with the pain.

there are so many good books out there like "birthing from within", "ina may's guide", etc. congrats! natural birth is awesome
    Anonymous