Bus Question

My two boys got off the bus yesterday and some kids that have been trouble for some time threw punches at my 11 yr old son, and then the kid turned and hit my 8 yr old son in the eye...My son said its because he was mad cause he couldnt hurt my 11 yr old,,anyways the kids came home today and said the bus driver gave them a ticket because of the fight they had yesterday..Can he do that?? He didnt stop the fight some other adult did.I thought tickets were only for bad behavior ON the bus not OFF the bus..And my kids were defending themselves..And PLEASE NO BASHING if you feel the need to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in

• The school is technically responsible for the safety of children until they get home or until a parent meets them at the bus so yeah he can do that.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Oh I forgot to mention the bus driver was nowhere around when this happened he was at a different stop..Someone told the bus driver about the incident and gave all the kids tickets..My husband and I both think my kids shouldnt get tickets because the were defending themselves.But I dont know. I just dont its right.
    Anonymous

• I used to drive a school bus. The "rule" was that if it wasn't eye witnessed by the driver, no ticket. I'd take it up with the bus terminal, not the school itself. You want to call the school district for the transportation department. Then speak with whoever is in charge there. Sorry to say, but more than likely they will take the side of their driver. I'd suggest when asking about their policy, try not to sound like your accusing anyone of anything. Just say that you're inquiring about the incident, and you'd like to get a better understanding of why the ticket was issued. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Weird, where I live there's no tickets or anything.
    Regardless though, unless the bus driver witnessed the fight he shouldn't be able to give tickets.
    I'd fight it.
    I'd also go have words with the other boys parents about their vicious little monsters punching your 8 year old.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:35 PM on Dec. 23, 2009