Was Jesus jewish?

Okay so the other day my husband and i where arguing about religion as usual lol. He said what jesus is jewish? What about Abraham? My husband was deployed for 15 months to iraq. they went to a temple Abraham lived called Ziggurat. well they got a tour and some history lessons. i dont remember what he told me soooo. he just goes by what people say and he just believes it. No we are not christian. Im wiccan and hes considered pagan. He doesnt go by the bible but he just believes anyone that says so and so about christianity. I just want to get some REAL BACK UPS on websites to show what is real or not. And he wants to know who actually crucified Jesus, the romans or someone else? Where did Jesus grew up (City/country)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Abraham and Jesus were Jewish.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yes, Jesus was Jewish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Ok so if he was Jewish why dont Jewish people pray to him? And why aren't the christians jewish not christians? makes no sense to me at all!
    Anonymous

• Jesus was Jewish, he was crucified by the Romans, but the Jewish people had a chance to free him, and didn't.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Jesus was Jewish. His mother Mary is a direct descendent of King David. King David was a direct descendent of Abraham. Abraham was a descendend of Jacob. Jacob was renamed Israel. Israel means governed by God. You can see the genealogy of Mary in the book of Luke. The genealogy in Matthew is of Joseph who was the adopted father of Jesus and has nothing to do with Jesus' bloodline.

I hope that helps : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I may be wrong about this, but I believe the Jews don't recognize Jesus as the son of God. They follow the old testament, prior to his birth. Anybody who recognizes Jesus as the son of God (Messiah), is considered Christian.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yes, Jesus was Jewish. Christians believe Jesus was the Messiah. The Jews don't - they're still waiting for the Messiah to come. They believe Jesus was a teacher (or even a prophet) and a good man, but not Divine. I don't know a whole lot about Judaism, so you'll have to ask a Jew for more detail.

The Roman crucified Christ, after a quick trial, at the request of the high-ranking Jewish priests of the time. The Roman governor wanted no part of it, but had to keep the peace (he was worried about even more civil unrest). He let the local leaders decide, then followed their wishes.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 6:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Jesus was born in Bethlehem, but grew up in Nazareth.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 6:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Jewish people believe he lived but not that he was not the savior. Some Christians are former Jewish people.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• OP here, Um yea now im just confused. So everyone you mentioned Cinnamon-mom are all jewish. May i ask why Jewish people dont recognize Jesus?

Im just curious, is there a home town where Jesus lived that still stands now or no? Even though i am wiccan i do believe he was a real person and a prophet but thats it.
    Anonymous