OK ladies.....Christmas spirit???

All right I really need some ideas on how to get into the spirit this year.It is my first Christmas without my husband of 17 yrs! And I have a 16 yr. old son and a 12 yr. old daughter and I want to make it as normal , fun and cheerful as possible for them! Any ideas? Buy the way..their dad will be here but we are no longer together.

flowerchid72

Asked by flowerchid72 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Holidays

• I would, play christmas music, watch some christmas movies, bake christmas cookies, and just spend time doing fun holiday activities with my family. Sorry you and your husband are no longer together. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your children. :)
    tree1997

Answer by tree1997 at 7:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Check your local newspaper for any holiday themed events that are going on in your town. Often there are plays, concerts, shopping bazaars, etc that older kids would love to go to with you. My 11 year old son and I just went to a reenactment of a 19th century Christmas and we had an awesome time. Find somewhere that has a great display of Christmas lights and go look at them. We're going to the Fantasy Lights here, and the kids love it. At home, make sure you involve them in the decorating, gift wrapping, baking, etc. Think of all the things you used to enjoy about Christmas and do that for them.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Have Christmas music going constantly. Watch Christmas movies in the evenings - Lifetime has LOTS of great ones right now, and ABC Family. Decorate the house, put garland everywhere, ribbons, bows. Bake something or make some different candy each night. I hope it gets better for you! Time DOES heal!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• well depending on what terms you and the ex are on there is the possibility of asking the ex to come over first thing christmas morning and do christmas as a family like always, i know this may be hard even more so if he is with someone new, and if he is, if you can muster it up (i dont know you full sitution) but invite her as well, for starters this shows the kids that you guys are still a team when it comes to them, it also makes it so they dont have to split the day between the two of you. I am fully aware depending on the sitution this may not be an option, my daughters father and i have been able to do this a couple times and suck it up and deal with it but our spliting up had more to do with we were both young and needed to do some growing up, which he still hasnt done lol we have even done this with our new partners invited as well which they did come although they werent to happy with it
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 8:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2009