Has anyone else done this?

So, I was a Christian believer and then started learning more and more about the universe, my thoughts, and so many other things. The more I learned, the more I doubted my belief. Now, I like to think of myself as a spiritual person more than a Christian, in fact, I don't consider myself to be Christian at all. I do love the idea of being Christ-like because, according to the Bible, which I now believe is a great book of morals, he was a caring, loving, intelligent, and patient man. Anyway, I guess my question is, has anyone ever gone through something similar?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• YES! Im with ya.

Actually Im taking 2010 to look inward and really focus on me......... lol Ive been a sham for 15 yrs, I guess it is about time. Im curious to see what I find.
    Anonymous

• "Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power."
    Anonymous

• Yup, been there, done that. I was raised Catholic, and even though I stopped going to Church around 16, I still called myself Catholic, until I really started thinking about things. Now, I'm pretty much considering myself an atheist. Like you, I think the original message Jesus had was a good one, of love, caring, understanding, tolerance. But I think the Church (as in the organization) has completely veered away from that message and is instead breeding intolerance and a lack of acceptance of anything and anybody different.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Sure have.

I woke up one day and realized I didnt quite believe as I had(I call it coming out of the box) and started looking around and found a deeper and more peaceful spirituality.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yep and I eventually found pantheism fits my beliefs the best so that is what I call myself now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Most of us non-Christians have been there done that. The majority of us were born and raised in Christian homes. There are a few of us that were always whatever it is that we are now (usually atheist). I was born a Christian. I went to a Pentecostal church with my grandparents, then denomination-hopped when I was a little older, then settled on a Baptist church, then left church altogether when I was about 16. I gradually began to doubt my faith, and I lost it altogether about 1.5 years ago.

So would you consider yourself a deist, or possibly agnostic now? There's nothing wrong with that, I actually very much admire those who are willing to admit that they don't know all the answers. I see the value in the story of Jesus, but I find it impossible to believe in the supernatural aspects of the story. It's just a good set of morals, like Aesop's fables. We take what we can and move on =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Been there done that. Currently agnostic atheist.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Nope, I would never walk out on God, because of my own faulty human logic.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Story of my life, literally. Started when I was about 7 or 8. Now I'm atheist
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I have sooo been where you are. I started as a church-going Christian, then a non-church going Christian, then a Gnostic, now I am a Pagan. So, yeah, I have been through the search. I think everyone has questions about things at one point or another in their lives. And changing beliefs is not a bad thing. If you find something you can't agree with, let it go and move on to something else. Eventually, you will find something that fits what you feel in your heart and know in your head. It may take years, or you may find it tommorow.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2009