i heard sonagrams/ultrasounds are bad for the baby? Is this true?

i am 6 weeks and have had one done and now i have to get another one done at two weeks to make sure everything is going ok...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When they first came out they weren't sure.They have been in use over 30 years and there is no evidence that they are harmful. Yet that does not mean they are safe. I would only have one done for a normal pregnancy. Even my high risk pregnancy with an amnio I only had 3 or 4 done. I wouldn't have one at 6 and 8 weeks. There is nothing that can be done if everything is not going ok so why have it done?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• In my opinion they are safe but always do your own research and what you are comfortable with.

I'm 7 weeks and have had 3 already. Next will be at 12-13 weeks, then 16 weeks, then 20 weeks, then around 28 weeks, 32 weeks and whenever I need reassurance after 32 weeks till I'm induced at 38 weeks.

Other than the 12/13 week and the 20 week, they will all be quick checks for cord placement.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 7:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• it is a bit controversial. some stuff says that they haven't been proven to be safe, other stuff says they have been shown to not be harmful. it is known that the sound waves affect cells but there has been no evidence that they harm babies. basically you have to decide on your own. think about what indicates there might be a problem and if an ultrasound really is necessary. do some research online about their safety. talk to your OB or midwife.

personally, i am comfortable with getting ultrasounds, but i don't really like that some OBs will give an ultrasound here and there for no reason. they are costly and unnecessary in many cases. i had 2 ultrasounds in my first pregnancy and do plan to get 1 this pregnancy though. i wouldnt' really like it if i went to an OB or midwife that wanted to do like 5 during a pregnancy for no reason. that's just my feeling on it.
    Anonymous

• I think one per pregnancy is fine. If there is any complications I understand the need to do more. With my 3rd child I chose no ultrasounds.
    Anonymous

• The way ultra sounds work I have a hard time believing there could be any ill effects. As far as I know there has never been any conclusive research to prove one way or another. I think most Doctors agree they are very safe. I had on at 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 week, 20 weeks, 36 weeks, and 39 weeks. All but one were medically indicated.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I am 10 weeks and have had 2 so far ( had some very light bleeding early on) Going for another the beginning of January, then hopefully not another until its time for the gender u/s. I think if they were harmful, there would have been some proof by now...they have been doing these things for quite a while....can't imagine how many per day are done in the world to not have some evidence! Everyone is so damn worried about being sued these days its just easier to say "We don't know" instead of "yes" or "no"
    DisneyBride13

Answer by DisneyBride13 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It's just sound waves. It wont hurt the baby.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 9:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I really don't know why they do ultrasounds if there is NO indication of a problem with the pregnancy. Women had healthy babies for generation before ultrasounds became available. I do wonder sometimes about the overall safety of it though. I mean, really, at the right frequency, sound waves can break glass...so I wonder what harm may possibly be done to young cells that are working hard to do their job. I wonder why it seems there has been an increase in cancer among infants (who really have not been exposed to known cancer causing things) and children, since the use of ultrasound has become so common. I'd really like to see a study done by someone with NO affiliation to the medical community comparing infants/children with cancer to how many ultrasounds, if any, were given during the pregnancy. The medical community will always say a thing is perfectly safe, even if it really isn't for SOME people.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I have heard this too. Many times actually. In fact, our local newspaper did an article on it a few years back.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I had 9 with my son. I had low fluid so they had to keep checking it. He came out just fine. In fact, he's in high school honors classes now & varsity track.
    Anonymous