Is this normal toddler behavior?

My 21 month old had always liked to feel veins in wrists before he fell asleep. Like he would run his fingers over our veins...now he is 21 months and he does this to himself through out the day. I am kind of concerned. He is developmentally normal. He always meets his milestones, he is incredibly calm and loving, always kisses hugs, points, talks, ect. I am just wondering if anyone elses babies have done this before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I've never hear of it. I'd just mention it to his Dr.
    Anonymous

• I can't say that I have ever heard of that specific thing....why not just ask the doctor? I would imagine that it isn't too big of a deal if the baby is developing normally, interacting normally and this isn't getting in the way of other activities.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• sounds like aself soothing behavior to me. It's not hurting him so i think he's fine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Well some kids suck on their thumbs and yours does that, i dont think its unusual. As a kid i would play with my right ear before falling asleep, i still have a dark spot on my ear where the skin became thick from all the rubbing. its self soothing.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I think it's just a soothing behavior. When my kids were that age they liked to gently run their fingers across my lips and then across theirs. To this day, one of my kids falls asleep at night while running his finger across his bottom lip. I found myself doing it when I was in deep thought at work.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 11:44 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Maybe he isn't rubbing veins, maybe he is feeling his/your pulse which I would think would be the ultimate in soothing sensations to a child.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 5:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• its kinda like listening to a heart beat.
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 6:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• my kid used to like you to rub between his fingers and his thumb. Worked like a charm to help him sleep. He's 16 now and to my knowledge he doesn't do it anymore. If you frequently find him in a corner rubbing his wrist and not participating in any play, then you may have a problem, but at stress full times, rest, transition, separation, it seems perfectly normal
    mouse1085

Answer by mouse1085 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• my daughter insists on touching my cheek when she's tired... i think it's just a comfort tactic..
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 7:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• ---- Maybe he isn't rubbing veins, maybe he is feeling his/your pulse which I would think would be the ultimate in soothing sensations to a child.

That above was my thought. A pulse would be very soothing to a baby I would imagine.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 10:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2009