how i can make my son eat other than just taking his milk

my son will be 3 at december 20 of 2009 & he just dont want to eat any thing he stoped even tasting stuff ..and he just cry with hunger and say i want the milk only nothing else ,i even brought for him out side food like pizza but he will not eat too only small piece am really just worried and dont no what to do if some one can help me ..because he nees balance food for his good growth

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Quit giving him so much milk. Don't give it to him til AFTER he eats. More importantly, talk to his doctor, find out if there's an underlying problem - my oldest wouldn't eat but her tonsils were so big and she had tonsillitis so often, that was the culprit. The day she had them taken out (before she was 3) she was asking for pizza - she healed so well & so quickly the ENT was amazed. She'd just been in so much pain before that, but we had no clue. Child #3 had kind of the same problem - her tonsils were so huge she struggled to eat, and drank a lot. She had them taken out for sleep apnea, and hasn't stopped eating since. Definitely talk to the doctor ASAP.
    Anonymous

• Take away milk for a couple of days. He won't starve himself... most likely! If he goes more than about 3 days refusing to eat, call his pediatrician.
    Also, start by asking WHY he wants milk.. maybe he can communicate that... like Anon said, it might me something more.
    But most likely, he may not like textures or something, and you have to be strong and make him eat. Only offer him his 3 8-oz glasses (or is it 6? or 4? whatever it is for 3 year olds) and leave it at that. Your will needs to be stronger than his.
    My 15 month old was only taking milk and not eating, til I just offered less milk and only and certain times and he is eating much better. Also, realize that the rule of thumb is 1 Tbsp of food per year of age (so 3 Tbsp) is a serving for a child. It really puts it all in perspective, and made me feel better knowing mine is eating normally!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Don't give him milk or any liquids until he eats most of his food. He only needs 8 oz of milk a day, 4 oz of juice and the rest should be water. If you don't give him the milk, he will learn to eat something other than milk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Ask your ped about the amount of milk he needs. Mine told me 16-20 oz/day for my son. After that, he gets only water. If he's not filling up on milk then he's more likely to eat more solid foods.

Answer by missanc at 8:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2009