tearing vs episitomy???

im a first time mom and 36 wks preg....i was just tryin to start figuring out how i would like my labor to go...i know it wont necessarily go as i might want it to but i was wondering about tearing or getting cut?? what would you rather?? has anyone had both done? what is more painful and what heals better after the birth??

maddie12284

Asked by maddie12284 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• From what my OB said it's better to tear unless it's going to be a really bad tear. I tore with 2 of our boys and had only a few stitches. Ask your OB, he/she can explain it to you.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Tearing heals a little faster since the edges are not a 'clean cut' but an episiotomy is going to be somewhat more likely to be in the right place. (I.E. Down and not up or straight and not to the side...) Either way it will need stitched. I ended up having a c-sec but in my birthing request I put that I wanted to be cut only a cm or two and then allowed to tear from there. There is also the consideration that some doctors do the epsi. even when it would not be necessary. So that is something to consider as well. Okaying one may have you cut when your body would have naturally stretched and accepted the pressure. Not common in first borns but not unlikely. I would do a lot of research!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• when u tear u generally tear less than if u had been cut. A tear also heals faster and stronger. And w/ one of my children I didn't tear at all!
    Anonymous

• I had both! and i only have one child!! and let me tell u...it hurt!! i didnt feel the tearing but i felt him cutting and i felt him stiching me back up. and it hurt to walk a couple days later.
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i tore. 4th degree tear. i rather tear
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I tore - inside and out. I would rather tear. I healed just fine. The first few days were pretty sore, though, but I didn't feel too bad after a week and back to normal (aside from my tailbone which bruised during labor) after 3 weeks. The hospital made ice packs out of diapers - they just slit a hole in the top and stuffed them with crushed ice. Then they have you put them in your underwear like a pad. My husband made me a couple when we got home and they really did help with the soreness and swelling.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i didnt tear i was cut and it didnt bother me at all.. my biggest problem after was my back hurting not sure what it was caused by if it was the epi or just giving birth or not resting much after but 3 days after i gave birth i was in walmart walking around with no pain besides my back
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 10:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I didnt tear at all so I cant really say...but I would like to throw out there that laying on your back and pushing is the worst possible position and greatly increases your chances of tearing or "needing" cut. I think most women wouldnt tear as badly or need cut if they would listen to their body and do what feels right, not what the doctor/hosptial wants them to do (which is to lay down with their feet in the air)....I am 5ft even and a very petite person, and I pushed on my hands and knees (all fours) and I had NO tearing, no cut, no stitches and I felt great afterwards!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I am sorry sweetie, i don't know. I'll tell you that is my worst fear!!! With my son I was 19yr old 5ft first time mom, no kegels no perineal massage, he was 9lbs 4oz and I didn't tear or need an episiotomy. Now I am 20 weeks now and I am horrified it would happend to me!
    meli_mommy

Answer by meli_mommy at 2:18 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• everything i have read says that tearing is better. i agree with ma2be08 that getting in different positions, not being attached to equipment (EFM, IV, epidural, etc) will make it less likely that you will tear. also natural pushing would decrease your chances of tearing but many providers will do directed pushing and not "allow" natural pushing.

i had an IV but was free to move around. i ended up in a semi-reclining position while doing directed pushing and i had minor tearing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2009