Cat with bad icky boo boo

So my male cat keeps getting in fights, he has a bad open cut on top the head/on the top of the ear. Like between the area where the ear comes out of the head. He cleaned it himself so much that he rubbed all the fur off the top of his ear and it's bleeding and icky. I have topical antibacterial meds for it. Is that all I can do? I know the vet will just tell me to put that on so I'm trying to save myself a vet bill. It's not infected. But I am keeping him in the house cause it's below zero outside at night. He got blood all over tonight cleaning it. Every time he rubs it with his paw to clean it, it starts bleeding again. Poor old boy!

simplysarah77

Asked by simplysarah77 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Pets

• Awwwww, maybe clean it with peroxide too.. If there's any way you can wrap it with gauze to keep him from opening it that would probably be best..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Maybe get an elizabethan collar so that he can't get his paw near it?
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• what is a elizabethan collar?
    simplysarah77

Answer by simplysarah77 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• its those cone shaped things you put around pets necks so they cant scratch themselves. you should try it. =)
    ProudMami2008

Answer by ProudMami2008 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Don't ever use peroxide on a pet's wounds! It is strong enough to damage the healthy tissue and actually slows down healing.

You can use the antibacterial or a plain triple antibiotic ointment, and if necessary a mild saline (1/2 teaspoon salt in 1 cup warm water) solution to clean it.

Call your vet and ask for the Elizabethan collar. You shouldn't need to make an office visit for one, just go in and pick it up. They cost about $10 but you can reuse them since they are made out of a very durable, thick plastic. You may need to rig up a harness out of gauze or something to actually keep it on your cat because most of them can rub them off.

Aside from that, the best advice I can give you is to just keep him inside and get him neutered if he isn't already. Intact males will always fight if there is a female around, and there are a lot of other dangers outside. He may fuss for a week, but most adjust quickly.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Its not like a gaping wound is it? He might need stitches if its that big. If not, keep it clean with Neosporin or another treatment mentioned above. They sell this stuff called New Skin, which is like a liquid bandage that can help close and heal the wound if its not infected and not too gaping for stitches. Good luck! And I'd definetely get him an E-collar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2009