pain management during delivery??

im tryin to decide what i want to do for pain management during delivery...im 36 wks and know its getting close so i need to try to decide what i wanna do....i just dont know what to expect during or after to make a decision...i know an epidural will make the pain part easy but ive heard that it can make your back hurt for years after you have...i know that you can also get iv pain med that help to ease the pain but how much do they really work??...and last is an all natural birth with no pain med as bad as some people portray it to be or do they exagerate some?? i know its a few different questions but any help right now would be good...thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had 3 natural births and would do it all over again. Yes it hurts but I was able to get up, take a shower and get on with taking care of my new baby.. No side effects to deal with etc.. That's what I did, but it's not for some..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• hypnobirthing.
    Anonymous

• well it is a very personal decision but i think it's a good idea to research it and decide what you want to do.

everyone told me horror stories about labor being so painful but really it was so much less painful than they acted like and i loved having a natural birth :) i wonder a lot when people say the pain is excrutiating if they were able to get up and move around and deal with the pain.

i read a book called Easing labor Pain that discussed both drug and non-drug ways to manage pain.
    Anonymous

• Labor is the worst pain their is to feel but you forget very quickly... and for some reason your body prepares you for it! It's a gradual process... I had an epidural with my first, I was induced and was in hard labor for 12 hours. It helped me tremendously, and I had no problem pushing her out. My 2nd I went natural ( believe me I wanted that epidural sooo bad) but I labored too quickly. I was so proud that I did it natural.

Oh yes, with the whole back pain after an epidural is so true. I have spasms every now and then..
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I had all three at once plus a c-sec. The i.v drugs were given to me after 12 hours so I would sleep. They were short acting but I did get in a decent nap. At 20 hours they ended up practically requiring me to have an epi (i could have said no). I think they suspected I would end up in a c-sec. When the pushing time came around the cut off my epi. For me it was excruciating. I had to push for 4 hours with no meds. I think if it had been a short labor I could have made it with no drugs. My plan was to get as far as I could. I feel I did pretty well. to go 27 hours with out an epi. I was in labor for 27 hours counting the pushing before going in for an emergency c-sec. My son was face up and getting his chin hung up on my pelvis. There is no wrong way to go. The best advice I can give is for you to tell them that you do not want pain meds offered. You will ask for them when you are ready. ...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• oh yes! Anon 8:06,

I was confined to the bed with my first due to my pre eclampsia! With my 2nd I was allowed to walk around and jump in the tub!! Totally different when you can move about with the pain! I forgot about that Thanks!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• otherwise they have a tendency to push you to get them in my experience. I also told them that after I requested them I wanted to double check I still wanted them after 5 min. there were times I said I wanted them but then I had a chance to 'recover' and be okay for another stretch. I have never had back problems. Thankfully.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I agree with the walking around helping a ton!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Why not just say you aren't sure. No two labors are the same, even for the same woman. I had an epi with all 3 of mine, and no back problems what so ever!
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• DONT THINK THE EPIDURAL IS ALAL THAT GREAT. IF THE PEROSN GIVING YOU THE EPIDRAL DOES A CRAPPY JOB YOU GET A CRAPPY EPIDURAL. EXAMPLE ME MY 1ST BIRTHMY EPIDURAL MADE MY CONTRACTIONS WORSE, I WAS IN TEARS. I WAITED TILL I WAS LAMOAT 7 CM TO GET IT. WITHMY SECOND I GOT IT AT . I WENT TO SLEEP WOKE UP AT 6 CM 20 MTS LATER I WAS 10. BEOFRETHE EPIDURAL I HADMEDECINE PUT IN MY IV FORGPT THE NAME. ANYWYAS GOOD LUCK!! BYTHE WAY WITH BOTH BIRTHS MYE PDIRAL WORE OFF AT 8 CM
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2009