When do you think it's time for that sex talk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• 4-5 years- Names of the his or her sex organs and there need to be private
    9-10 years- the mechanics of sex and the names of the sex organs inside and out both sexes as well as pregnancy and prevention
    12-13 years- the emotional aspect of sex and relationships.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• From the time they are old enough to know they are boys/girls the talk should start! My kids are 2 and 3 and already know what the difference is between a boy and girl, where is a good place to touch and where isn't... There should never be a "Sex Talk." It should be an ongoing discussion from the time they are very very young!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I agree to that it should be on going but as a general guideline ^that^ is what I think
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• From the time they are old enough to know they are boys/girls the talk should start! My kids are 2 and 3 and already know what the difference is between a boy and girl, where is a good place to touch and where isn't... There should never be a "Sex Talk." It should be an ongoing discussion from the time they are very very young

Exactly, but if you have not done so it isn't too late to start. I think But Mommie gave a good time table, at 8-10 I would include the information about puberty, then at 11-12 talk more about sex specifically, and then keep going don't stop at 12-13, these lessons need to be repeated.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• The sex talk needs to begin by 5 years old and be an ongoing conversation. Keep it age or developmentally appropriate. DON"T be defensive, don't make the kids feel bad for asking questions, even embarrasing ones. Do your best to answer HONESTLY. If you don't know an answer, find it out. There are many good books out there that will help you out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It has to be ongoing like differences between boys and girls. I moved from city to country and it speeded things up a bit with the rooster hopping the chicken, the foal being born, the calf being born, the bull mounting the cow in the front pasture conveneintly in the front pasture when the bus stopped to let the kids off. Yes mating and mounting are a part of the circle of life and he got exposed to it pretty quick after we moved. I have already taught him that no one can touch him in his bathing suit area and if they do, no matter what they say about not telling, or they will kill me or him if he tells, he tells me. He is 7 years old
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 12:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• YUP---- i've been talking 2 my daughter about sex since she was old enough 2 talk & i'm VERY proud 2 say that she just turned 17 on Sept 2nd & SHE'S STILL A VIRGIN... how many parents of teenage  girls can say that this day & time... not many... when u think that they're ready start talking , i notice that my son who's 9 is curious we caught him looking at the porn channels that we didn't even know that we had on the tv & now we call him PORNBOY...lol, i mean it's NEVER 2 early it all depends on the development of UR child.. use ur best judgment , NOBODY knows ur kids betta than U do...

divana973

Answer by divana973 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I dont believe in the sex talk at all, in my opinion it should be a normal subject that starts when the children start asking questions. if you do that there is no need at all for an awkward sex talk.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2009