Gentlease versus soy based formula

I switched my son to Enfamil soy based formula yesterday and today he passed a hard bowel movement. It seemed to hurt him to pass it and he was pretty fussy. I initially used the Enfamil Gentlease because he was gassy. It didn't really help with the gas but at lease his bowel movements were not painful. Now I am not sure what to do. I hate to keep switching his formula but I am not sure which is best for him. Advice?

Maxsmommy0909

Asked by Maxsmommy0909 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never used soy, we use gentlease, but I know that my daughter has a constipation problem regardless of formula. Depending on the age, you can try feeding him prunes or prune juice. Thats what works for us to keep her better. Babies tend to like it too since its sweet. Just be sure you dilute the juice with water though.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 8:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• You should talk to your doctor. I use Gentlease and it works well for my son. He was really gassy too but it didn't take away all the gas. We have to use gas medicine for him. The doctor told us that before switching you have to use a formula for like a month to really know if it is the formula causing the problem. He said that too many people jump from formula to formula and then think that they solved the problem when really they just grew out of it.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• You should only use a soy based formula if the cannot tolerate cow's milk based formula. If the gentlease works then stick with that!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i agree with maggiemom soy is for babies that cant handle the milk based formulas and it binds babies up my ds is on soy and is doing better with the bms but it hurt him for awhile to go he would cry and fuss and strain alot my doctor told me to give him water and apple juice thats worked or he is starting to get more use to it now
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 9:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2009