do you think if someone is truly prejudice and lets everyone know about thier hatred towards another...

do you think someone who is not prejudice can be friends or associate with someone who is prejudice and truly not be prejudice their selves?

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 8:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes, because I would be thinking "someone has to set a good example for this person." My great grandfather was rather prejudiced but it didn't affect me. We lived with him until I was 12 so its not like he was a distant relative. Granted though for him it was just more about how he was raised and the time period (late 1910's to the early 20's). What blew my mind was that he had also faced discrimination and knew what it felt like. He was Irish Catholic at time when people weren't that open to them. So I didn't understand how he could believe things like that. But then my mom didn't allow him to teach us those things either. I remember him playing eeny meeny minie mo, and saying the wrong word. (I was like four and hadn't clue as to what the word meant) and she swung around so fast and told him "don't you teach her that. So he used Tigger (like from Whinney the Pooh, I thought) instead without a fuss. (cont.)
    Anonymous

• But while I knew how he felt. One person made up my mind. We didn't live in a diverse neighborhood. Literally there were about four African American children at my Elementary school. One of them was a girl my age named Shauntla. We were friends and in the same third grade class. My mother had bought me a set of fancy barettes to put in my hair. They were a pretty rose colored velvet and lace florette with ribbon streamers. I thought they were beautiful, but the first day I wore them, I lost one. Next day at school when we first walked into class (our chairs were still on our desks and you had to take them down,), I saw Shauntla find my barrette in her chair and she returned it to me. She sat at the front of the class and my barrette had fallen out while I was waiting in line for our bus to be called the night before. It was such a pretty thing, that I knew only a good person would have given it back so he was wrong
    Anonymous