What are some ways to cure constipation?

When my daughter was born, I started breastfeeding her. About 1-2 weeks later, I started with the formula, and have been doing both. In the past 5 days, she has only pooped once, so I would assume that she's constipated. She is now 3 weeks old. What are some ways that I can get her to poop?

bellasmommy1563

Asked by bellasmommy1563 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breast milk wont usually constipate a baby so Im betting its the iron in the fromula. I beileve all formula has iron though. Hmmm Maybe call your dr to be on the safe side. Good luck!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• You need to call your doc; I know that they/you can give a suppository to babies but can't remember type or amount so call doc to be safe
    Anonymous

• Eliminate the formula, it can be very, very constipating.

If baby were exclusively breastfed, going several days without pooping would be normal... but since theres formula in the picture, it's possible she is constipated (still possible she isn't, though). Get rid of the formula and you get rid of the problem.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yes, it is always best to check with your pediatrician. I do work with newborns though and the dr I work with says that some babies will only poop once every 3 days. Breast fed babies usually go more, but with formula it could be less. Make sure your baby's tummy is soft and is he or she passing gas? Does the baby seem uncomfortable or in pain? I hope this helps, but PLEASE CALL your DR....that is alway the best answer.
    RNCindyS

Answer by RNCindyS at 9:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• If she's not struggling to pass hard dryu pellets, she's not constipated. But if she IS doing that....then the first step is indeed to cut the formula. Breastmilk is a natural laxative.

And due respect to Cindy...but be aware that most docs know next to nothing about breastfeeding. Sometimes you get lucky, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• with my daughter sugar water always did the trick but honestly that was 6 years ago so i cant remember just what age we started doing it, i agree talk to her dr and see what the dr says, the sugar water maybe to thin for her to take just yet like i said i cant remember how old my daughter was when we started it
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 5:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2009