• In the Spotlight:

lookin for xmas help.

im a single mom of 3boys..i only work part time and have not a clue how my kids will have xmas.. if anyone knows of any help out there id appreciate it..im in connecticut...ty

tbutterfly1974

Asked by tbutterfly1974 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Try going to the Salvation Army or another local church.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i actually called churches and salvation army as well. also tried through the schools. no luck so far...thanks
    tbutterfly1974

Answer by tbutterfly1974 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It may be too late,to tell you the truth. A lot of those places start taking names early and they cut the list off after a certain time.But try calling 211 or if you want to do it online,type in 211connecticut. then type in holiday assistance.
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• We just did amazing food baskets/presents/personal need goods for 6 families in our school this week and thought we were done, but we found out another family is in need. So our PTA is putting together a special basket for this family. I'm sure if you continue to call around you will find a group to help you. It should not be too late. Don't give up.
    I'm sorry you are going through such a hard time. I'm not sure what your beliefs are but your family is in my prayers.
    prdill08

Answer by prdill08 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i know its hard even more so if your kids are young for starters, do you have any family around you that will be shopping for your kids and if so is it an option to spend xmas eve at their house so the kids wake up to plenty of gifts or atleast some gifts? another option would be teaching your kids the true meaning of xmas and instead of giving them gifts that cost money give them something that will be special for them from you, like maybe start a scrap book with each child and explain to them that it is something you guys are going to work on together and each child will have their own time to do this with you so they have your full attention for say an hour each time you work on it, while working on it tell them special memories you have of when they were born when you found out you were pregnant etc. i have to say there have been more christmas' then not that had it nt been 4 my parents my kids would have had nothing
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 5:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Try the local VNA. I know we have adopted a family at work through the VNA in Wallingford. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Also,if you look at the toys for tot site for your area, they will give you a list of places that give out toys in your area. You can call them, but like I said,it's probably too late for a lot of them.
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Get a job. Think ahead. Its not like Christmas snuck up on you. It happens the same time every year.

Maybe you should think more about spending time with your kids instead of spending money. I promise they'd rather eat then have toys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• i want to thank everyone for suggestions.. also I DO HAVE A JOB.I WORK EVERYDAY..I GET NO TYPE OF ASSISTANCE..MY CHILDREN COME FIRST..WE SPEND MUCH TIME TOGETHER.IF YOU MUST KNOW THE REASON TO MY HARDSHIP IS THAT I HAVE A CHILD WITH DIABETES AND NO MEDICAL INSURANCE.SO ALL MY EXTRA MONEY GOES TOWARDS THAT.. ANYWAYS TO EVRYONE ELSE HAVE A MERRY XMAS AND THANK YOU
    tbutterfly1974

Answer by tbutterfly1974 at 8:23 AM on Dec. 20, 2009