Non-Christians from the other question: What were your parents like?

This is a spin off question.

I noticed that a lot of you were talking about how you grew up in Christian families and then you left the faith. Can I ask what you parents were like? Did you feel they were too controlling, or hypocritical, or naive, closed minded, uneducated, weird.

Were they nice people that just don't get it, or get you?

How committed to the faith were they growing up. Were you Sunday Christians, or did you go twice a week or more to church? Did you have nightly devotions at home?

What was your church like? Did you like your youth groups? Did you have good teaching and good worship? Were you close to your leaders?

So many questions. Anyways, you get my point.

BTW: I am not making ANY judgements on your parents or your churches!!! I promise I am just super curious.

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 9:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My parents' parents are strict southern Christian conservatives. They're lovely people, but they're batshit insane when it comes to social/political issues. Anyway! My mom is a Christian. She's become VERY much more religious as she's gotten older, but it doesn't rule her life all the time like it does some people. She is a loving, strong, independent woman who's had her fair share of shit thrown at her in life. She is outwardly outgoing but she's actually very introverted (just like me). She knows how to put on a good front (just like me).

My dad is even more like me. He was a staunch agnostic when I was born, but he went to church just to make the family happy. He is a hilarious person, he lives for making people laugh. He's such an old spirit (just like me). My mom did not like that he was agnostic. She taught me that agnostics and atheists were lost and confused and should be avoided.

(cont)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• OOOH, can you also share what type of church it was?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My parents are agnostic. So am I. My husband's father is a pastor and missionary. He is more of an atheist than agnostic. Saw too much of the ugly side of church culture. The lying, stealing, "do as I say, not as I do" stuff. His parents are Wesleyan

Anonymous

• I grew up in a traditional christian home. No I did not like to go to church. And yes my parents did make me. It was not an option. I do however consider myself to be a christian. I believe the beliefs and so on. I just don't go to church and do most of the things I know in my heart I should be doing.
    blondiemaker07

Answer by blondiemaker07 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My parents divorced when I was 5. My mother was a Christian who read bible stories to us, sent us to Sunday school, confirmation classes, and that sort of thing. My dad married a Catholic woman who is very devout, but not pushy. I was pretty comfortable around my stepmother. I didn't mind the church groups and classes. They were nice to me. I just never believed any of their stories any more than I thought Mickey Mouse was real.
    Anonymous

• We grew up Catholic, went to 8 yrs of religion classes, was confirmed in the 8th grade, took a saints name.. The whole 9 yards.. My Mom was raised catholic, went to a catholic school. My father was raised in the Christian science church. He converted when my parents became engaged to be married in 1958. Growing up we went to church on wednesday eve and Sunday's.... Once we all became busy with jobs, friends, hobbies, etc we quit going. Mom and Dad didn't make a big deal of it because we were all so busy.. I don't go now, haven't since my Dad's funeral in 2005 and don't plan to go back.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I was sent to a Lutheran church...my parents are catholic. They never attended sunday service with us(my sister and I). WE attended sunday school, catechism classes, VBS, and were part of the youth group in the church. I was very close to many of the leaders, and my very best friends throughout my teen years into my twenties were the people in my youth group.
    I liked the Lutheran church for the most part. BUT I personally disagreed with what I heard from the pastors, and what I saw among the congregation.
    From a very young age, the "teachings" of the bible didn't sit well with me.
    I never thought badly of my parents in regards to church. They weren't super strict about it either. They are more outspoken now about their religious views than ever before.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i will try to make this short.
    my whole family (moms side, can care less about my stupid father) are all Roman Catholic. We didnt attend church while growing up. only for certain things. I personally hate it, i dont like it, dont feel right being catholic. we didnt read a bible, we didnt pray before eating. we where just catholic period. I am wiccan, i love it and its what i feel is right for me and what i all believe in. period.
    Anonymous

• My father was raised by a Catholic mother and a Southern baptist father, as such he is religious himself but rarely attended church. My mom was raised protestant. Growing up my mother was the one who dragged us all to church (sans my father). The only reason it bothered us was because she would sit there for up to 2 hours after the service to socialize. As I grew older I had incresing questions. My father always had a philosophy of asking until you found the answer you were looking for. The church never had it! I still maintained loose ties to religion, attending church services with my mother on the holidays and participating in the after school "Teens for Christ" but it was never for the religious aspect of it, rather the socialization and so my mother wouldn't be alone.
    My father still holds closely to his beliefs but my mother has drifted to more nature based beliefs. A Christian Pagan if you will. While they do not co
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• While they do not completely understand my reasonings they have a problem with my lack of belief in a deity. They are still the loving parents that they always were and I am still their daughter. We see eye to eye on a great many things, the exitence of a god is simply not one of them
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2009