If you weren't raised in a particular faith. How did you go about finding a church home?

I have a book that gives an overview of all the particular denomination's beliefs, and I know what I want in a Church but I am afraid to walk in the door of an unknown entity. Do you know what I mean? I can look over the website, etc. But when it comes to going in the doors, I freak out a bit. It could sound great on paper but the personality of a church is what I worry about. I want friendly but not so open that its uncomfortable. I want a medium size congregation. Not large enought to get lost, but not so small that you are discribed as a new member for the next 30 years, because your grandparents didn't attend this church.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• WOW op, sounds like we have the SAME beliefs! I've never come across anyone who has those same beliefs as me! Most of my Christian friends are firm in their belief that God could not be all 3 entities, and that creation is the truth and evolution (or at least the big bang theory) is not ture. That's why I had such a hard time with going to a church. I was raised going to all sorts of different churches because my mom started off taking us to Assembly of God, but she could never get my dad to go with her, and it was too hard on her getting 3 kids ready and out the door every Sunday. So from then on, we just attended vacation bible school at the assembly of God. I had two pentocostal friends who I attended church with frequently, and though I didn't agree with some of their beliefs at least I learned about God and the Bible. I also have attended Lutheran, Southern Baptist (NOT for me), Methodist, and Protestant. CONT...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Well, my aunt went to the church I now go to and I just tried it out; it was a great fit for me and I am very thankful to have been placed there first. I believe that God was divinely placing me in a safe place.

I have been to other churches too, I enjoyed some of them very much. And other ones, I must admitt had poor teaching, and depressing worship (sorry).

I think it is important to find a good church. Pray and ask God to help you find a good church, with good teaching, and worship, and wonderful friends. May God give you a good "home" : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Ask friends what church they may go to, don't be afraid to walk in a church and realize this is not for you, and get up and walk out. Its ok, you want to be comfortable where ever you go. Also, what church are you looking for? Do you believe in Christ? Do you believe that God sent him to wash away our sins? Or maybe in omething else? Either way you want to find one the is in line with your beliefs. Glad to hear you are looking for a church!
    Take care.
    racefan88

Answer by racefan88 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• OP here: As far as basic beliefs, I am Christian. I do believe in God and Jesus. However as far as the specifics such as Premillennialism or Postmillenialism-- I don't really have an opinion either way., Free Will or Predestination-- I have to say I lean toward Free Will. In regard to the question of God, the Son, and the Holy Spirit being one being or three, well I presonally choose never to place a limit on God. If He wants to be three beings at once, He can. Just because I do not understand how that could work, doesn't mean He can't do it. (Though actually it makes perfect sense to me either way.) I do not believe in Original Sin, I believe Children are innocent at birth. I also believe that Creationism and Evolution can and do coexist. I wans't even aware there was a problem here unitl I was 16. In my mind, God the Creator, is an artist and we are a work in progress. He created evolution.
    Anonymous

• There is no other way but to try them out. You know your beliefs find churches in the area that meet them and go for it. With much prayer of course.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i was a hardcore catholic until i opened my door to a jw. That was the best day of my life. my life has turned around for the better.
    Anonymous

• I have had lengthy conversation with Mormons about their religion (also not for me), as well as Jehovas Witnesses. I have never felt truly COMFORTABLE in any one church til I found the one I occasionally attend now. It is simply a Christian Center. Nondenominational. It is medium sized, a large enough congregation that they have 3 weekly services. Their music is upbeat and uplifting and fun to sing, the preacher is an awesome preacher who always seems to speak right to my heart, and the people in the congregation are just wonderful people. There are SOME there with extreme views (one of the ladies there told my friend that her husband was going to go to hell because he questioned the existence of God while stationed in Iraq because of the horrors he saw). You will always have the crazies in any church. Try out a different church every other week if you need to. You'll find one you feel at home in.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• See if there is an Allience church in your area, they have great kids programs (atleast mine does lol) its christian based but very laid back (again atleast mine is) i mean im sure there are a few people at my church who are judgemental and all that you're going to find it anywhere but the first time i went to my church i was pretty much a single mother of 6 i was so worried about being judged and having my kids judged (not all 6 where mine but i had custody of my two and my brothers 4 and i was single never married to my kids father) and they welcomed me and my kids with open arms, at one point my niece went back to her mom and her mom called me one night while we were at youth group saying she couldnt handle it anymore and i needed to come get the baby i was talking to my mom about it and said first i wuld have to run home other wise i wouldnt have the gas and someone over heard me and offered me gas money!
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 4:38 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Just 'feel the fearbut do it anyway'. Go. BUT TAKE A BIBLE WITH YOU AND CHECK AND DOUBLE-CHECK EVERYTHING YOU ARE TOLD IS SO because the Bible is the ONLY way to know what is Truth and acceptable to our Creator.

Act 17:11 "they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so."
    2 Timothy 3:16,17 "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work."

As Jesus said, "your word is truth" John 17:17

So, for as long as you find disagreement with the Bible, keep searching.

God bless you, JES xxx

CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 8:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I think any kind of non-denominational church would probably be the best fit for you.
    We attend a baptist church, even though it doesn't FULLY align with what I believe. There is so much room for personal opinion when it gets down to the nitty-gritty's and I guess I dont really care if I am wrong or right. As long as my church preaches from the bible, and has the basic christian fundamentals of my faith, the little things will work themselves out.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2009