• In the Spotlight:

Tricky question about texting an old friend

Ok, so I have this old friend who I've been texting a lot lately. He's never been a boyfriend, just a friend I ran across on Facebook that I haven't talked to in more than 10 years, except maybe once. We text mostly about how things have been since High school. He talks to me about his ex girlfriend whom he's stuck living in the same apt with until their lease is up. He asks me advice on this other girl he really likes. We mostly BS. and we send jokes and stuff. He knows I'm married with a kid, and I've even made sure he had no ulterior motives. Thing is, my husband hates me texting anyone constantly when we have our time together since we don't get it much, so this friend and I mostly talk during the day and he respects my need for quiet family time at home. My husband knows this guy and I talk and what about, but I have a few coworkers who are insistent that this is wrong... Maybe I'm not seeing it, but is there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• well you made sure it was clear with your husband, if you sat your phone on the counter and he picked it and read a messege, it was ok with you, i'd say it's cool.

your coworkers might be thinking since it was a guy and you would meet up with this guy and its gonna start a cheating process, then thats why they might not be ok with it
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• ok... maybe it is because Im in my 40s and "old" but how do you have a conversation via text???

a text message is about a sentence or two... tops...unless your fingers are doing the walking 24/7

You sound like my 15 yr old daughter.
    Anonymous

• no, you are not doing anything wrong. I'm old and can't get the hang of all that finger work so I'd be one on the phone all the time and not texting but you set your boundaries. It's not a secret so all is well.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• as long as your husband is aware of the friendship and doesnt have a problem with it and you arent letting it over rule your alone time with hubby i dont see a problem with it, i have plenty of guy friends and my my hubby has plenty of female friends we dont hang out with friends of the oppsite sex with out each other out of respect but it really all depends on your marriage and your relationship i wouldnt make a huge deal of it to hubby maybe say some of my coworkers have pointed out that you may not be ok with my friendship with so and so and i just wanted to make sure that its ok because our life is more important to me then this friendship or something along those lines and if hubby says its fine with him then i dont see a problem yu can also tell him he is free to go through your phone and read the texts at anytime
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 11:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2009