Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you think you have mastitus do you go see your OB/GYN or PCP?

Answer Question

Asked by LovinLifeMomma at 9:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • See your obgyn IMMEDIATELY. If you wait too long - even a day too long - you may end having to require surgery. If caught early enough, they'll prescribe you an oral antibiotic to clear it up. Please, go as soon as you can. I had to go the surgery route - no fun.

    Answer by happy1mom at 9:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

  • Yes, you need an antibiotic. It hurts like hell!

    Answer by Pnukey at 9:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

  • Thanks. I'm calling first thing in the morning. I started having pain in right breast yesterday, but tonight a fever, headache, and body aches have followed. I've made it 8 months in nursing so far with not even a sore nipple! So I'm very upset.

    Answer by LovinLifeMomma at 10:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

  • I had mastistis twice when I was breastfeeding. The lactation consultant recommended frequent nusing, breast massage and frequent hot compresses. I avoided antibiotics both times.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • I had mastitis twice. One time was right in the middle of a cross country move, when I couldn't get in to see anybody, so I just went to the ER (it was Saturday) and was in and out with a prescription in about 15 minutes. The second time, I just called my midwife, even though by then I was living across the country. I didn't have a doctor here yet, and she called in a prescription for me. I nursed constantly and used hot compresses, also.

    Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.