If you think you have mastitus do you go see your OB/GYN or PCP?

LovinLifeMomma

Asked by LovinLifeMomma at 9:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Health

• See your obgyn IMMEDIATELY. If you wait too long - even a day too long - you may end having to require surgery. If caught early enough, they'll prescribe you an oral antibiotic to clear it up. Please, go as soon as you can. I had to go the surgery route - no fun.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 9:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yes, you need an antibiotic. It hurts like hell!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Thanks. I'm calling first thing in the morning. I started having pain in right breast yesterday, but tonight a fever, headache, and body aches have followed. I've made it 8 months in nursing so far with not even a sore nipple! So I'm very upset.
    LovinLifeMomma

Answer by LovinLifeMomma at 10:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I had mastistis twice when I was breastfeeding. The lactation consultant recommended frequent nusing, breast massage and frequent hot compresses. I avoided antibiotics both times.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I had mastitis twice. One time was right in the middle of a cross country move, when I couldn't get in to see anybody, so I just went to the ER (it was Saturday) and was in and out with a prescription in about 15 minutes. The second time, I just called my midwife, even though by then I was living across the country. I didn't have a doctor here yet, and she called in a prescription for me. I nursed constantly and used hot compresses, also.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2009