Up dating the question I asked earlier

My husband, myself and my two week old baby are making a 6 hour trip from louisiana to arkansas. We are driving and we know the way really well and know where all the stops are along the way. We have to make this trip because we are going to get our other little girl who is at grandmas. She is up there because I got put in the hospital for two weeks because I was a high risk pregnancy, and we couldnt have her down here. I guess what I am asking for is any advice or anything I should know about traveling with a newborn and how should I handle the trip back with a newborn and a eightteen month old. We will be gone for two weeks.

armywife698959

Asked by armywife698959 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Plan on stopping every two hours. A newborn should not be in a car seat for more than 2 hours at a time. Take baby out for 20-30 minutes or so to feed, change diaper, let baby stretch out etc. We had a 3 hr trip home from the hospital when our baby got out of the NICU at 18 days old, and this is what they told us to do. As long as you plan on taking your time and stopping as much as you need to, then you guys will do fine! Baby will probably sleep most of the time.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I drove from PA to NC when my daughter was tiny and I was worried too. It turned out fine. Just make sure that you stop often to change the baby. I nursed, so if she started to get fussy, Id get in the back seat and nurse her (while she was properly latched into her car seat) it was really akward trying to lean over the car seat and reach my boob in there (TMI i know! lol)...but it calmed her right down and she slept most of the way. Good luck!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Have plenty of toys snacks for the 18 month old :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2009