step parent adoption costs

I was just wondering what it costs and where you lived when you got it done. We're looking into it, but aren't sure if now is a good time because of economic hardships

RosaMae

Asked by RosaMae at 10:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Adoption

• My husband called some lawyers the other day and they all said about $1000. 750 for the lawyers to do the papers and 350 for court costs. if it is not contested. if you have to go to court to get the parental rights severed that will be more I am assuming. I would call some lawyers in your area to see what they charge.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I live in Chicago and it's about 1,000-1,500 dollars just to do straight adoption, it costs extra if you are contesting parental rights or terminating another parent's rights in the process
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Rosamae, greetings friend...there arenot enough details of your situation to offer an opinion. Could you give us a little more about your journey, to help us better understand? Blessings, C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 8:38 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• basically i have been dating my husband since my daughter was a month old. her father saw her once after that when she was two months old for all of 20 minutes. About a year and a half ago I married my husband who my daughter calls daddy (she'll be 4 soon). My ex has been really spotty with childsupport (his checks get garnished when he is working, but he only works when he is dating a girl that makes him work) and is over 4k behind. He has not kind of relationship with my daughter and even agreed to sign away his rights to her a long time ago. if he has changed his mind, i doubt it will be hard to involuntarily terminate his rights.
    RosaMae

Answer by RosaMae at 1:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It'll be about 2K you have lawyer fees, social worker fees, court costs. My hubby adopted my son 4 yrs ago the fathers rights were terminated under abandonment. I adopted my stepson a few months ago and there were no parental rights to terminate because BM died. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I live in Seattle, WA. We had a completely non-contested step-parent adoption, but it was hard to find and then reach the bmom, who wouldn't return calls or accept the certified letter, so we had to have her served, and the multiple attempts added up. So in total we spent about $3,000 on it.
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2009

• we paid less then 500 bucks, but it was not contested at all.
    Klueless1973

Answer by Klueless1973 at 1:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2010