my newborn is 9 days old and im having trouble breast feeding, the latch on, so were giving her part formula, now it seems shes constipated, how can i felieve this???

rubysmama1

Asked by rubysmama1 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both my boys did this! Add about 1/2 teaspoon to 4 oz of formula. If they haven't pooped in about 5-6 hours give 1 teaspon in 4 oz. formula. I got this from my grandmother and she spent more than 30 years as a pediatric nurse.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Don't switch her back and forth from breast to formula - decide one or the other. You can try mixing a bit of prune juice into her bottle to relieve the constipation - I did this for one of my kids and it worked like a charm - just try like half an oz at first so you don't give her too much. You can get it in the baby section with the baby food.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i don't know about the being constipated, ask your pediatrician. about the breastfeeding though, i hated it the first 3 weeks, it was sooo hard. but i stuck with it because i want my baby to be healthy and have the best. he is 2 months old now and i'm so glad i am still breastfeeding him. it doesn't hurt anymore and he latches on perfectly and is gaining weight normally. i do give him formula before bed though because it helps him sleep a little longer. then i give him BM when he wakes up after about 4-6 hours. good luck and congrats on your new baby :D
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• No, it isn't the mixing...It is the formula which is hard to digest.       Instead of formula you can express/pump your breast milk and give it to her instead -- babies that age drink very little at a time.   Avoid bottles (especially one that is not breastfeeding friendly)  -- use a spoon, eyedropper or cup -- bottles will just add to your latch problem!       The added bonus of giving your milk is that your supply will be stimulated properly. Join the breastfeeding moms group for help ASAP! go to

http://www.drjacknewman.com for videos on proper latch and other tips.  

http://www.kellymom.com is a wealth of resources

And finally if you can find a LLL leader in your area and consult a lactation consultant for in person help.   

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Put that baby back to your breast, mama! That breastmilk is a laxative, whereas formula is constipating. I would just keep trying to get her to latch or pump some breastmilk until she does.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Please drop by the breastfeeding moms group...we can help you get that baby on the breast. No adding anything to formula...I'm guessing the first responder was referring to Karo, which is a botulism risk same as honey.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree that going to a bottle is only going to add to your latch problem. babies use about half the muscles sucking from a bottle as they do BFing so baby is going to try the same "lazy" sucking with the breast and it WILL make you more sore. The formula is def whats making baby constipated If at all possible try a Lactation Consultant. They can be a big help with latch issues. Most new moms dont know babies need ALOT of your nipple in there mouth to latch correctly and it could be as easy as getting baby to open mouth a little wider to solve your problem.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 2:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I had the same problem with both my boys. I did the same thing. Do you have normal nipples or inverted/flat? I found using a pump helped. I would pump for a couple minutes and then latch baby on. If you still have problems with latch on, you may have a baby with mouth issues (tongue tied.) See your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Is your baby uncomfortable or just not having frequent bowel movements. A breastfed baby can go more than a week between bowel movements.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Try to figure out the breastfeeding thing. See a Lactation consultant. Stop by the Breastfeeding moms groups, or even just message gdiamante or any of the other moms in the breastfeeding group. Breastmilk is the cure for constipation. Formula is the cause. Most latch issues can be resolved without too much work, especially since your baby is so young!
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 7:57 PM on Dec. 22, 2009