Question about divorce...

Okay for the past oh 2 years my marriage has been really bad, All we do is argue. I told my husband last night that we needed to seperate cause all this is hurting the kids in the long run. He told me no that he wasn't.. Now if he doesn't want a divorce like I do will it make the process long and having kids does that make it even harder?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• I am not sure if it varies by state, but where I live you cannot contest a divorce. I would get a free consultation with an attorney.
    Anonymous

• In my state the divorce gets finalized 2 yrs after the separation whether or not the other party wants the divorce or not. As the previous person said you would have to find out your states law.
    HappyHomeMommy

Answer by HappyHomeMommy at 10:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• depending on the state, the court may require you to be legally seprated for a certain time period and if he doesnt want the divorce the courts can order counseling before granting anything, one of the first things you need to do is file a legal seperation and make sure custody of the kids is addressed this will protect both of you from the other taking off with the kids
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 11:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• If he doesn't want the divorce then he will most likely not cooperate if divorce papers are filed. Which yes, that will make the process long and very stressful. However, there are papers you can file to force him to sign the papares though. I don't know much else then that. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I am pretty sure you would still be granted a divorce even if he didn't want it, but he could make it drag out, but contesting different things, like alamony, who gets what as far as material things, custody of the kids, child support, etc....it does take longer for it to be final due to having kids because all the custody and child support has to be figured out.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 9:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2009