What should I know about high cholesterol?

I'll be 24 tomorrow and today the doctor diagnosed me with high cholesterol. It was 238. I know it runs in my family and he placed me on a prescription so I just want to know what there is to know about it and how I can help lower it. Like what kind of diet or excercise plan should I do? Any information would be helpful. Thanks in Advance

poetress1218

Asked by poetress1218 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Health

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i believe that cholesterol meds are a very bad thing. so many people are on them, and heart disease is not on the decrease. they now say too low levels of cholesterol can lead to a heart attack.
    I had an uncle that found he had high cholesterol about 30 years ago. the whole family went on a really healthy diet, and they began to exercise regularly. everyone's cholesterol lowered except my uncle's. They maintain their healthy lifestyle, and no heart attacks yet. My uncle is close to 60.
    as far as diet, i don't think the typical heart healthy diets are right on. I think that we should really cut back on processed foods, and we should eat a ton of green vegetables. I think fish is very important too, but that can be difficult b/c of the toxic waters now...so fish oil is great.
    There is a book "the cholesterol myth" it is worth looking into, if you are concerned about being on meds forever.
    Good Luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• A healthy diet will help, lots of fruits, vegetables and fish.

When I was in my late tweens early teens my mom was diagnosed with high cholesterol. We ate a lot of fish and chicken. Some red meat is ok, but watch your portion size and how much fat is in it.

You may be able to ask your doctor to refer you to a dietitian to help you too.

Cafe Jenn
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 1:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• omega 3 fish oil capsules and flaxseed. No more processed foods, just whole, natural foods. And FIBER! Lots of fiber!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Cut back on dairy, red meat and eating out. More exercise. At 18 & 115lbs, my cholesterol was 210....all from heredity.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2009