If I breastfeed my DS after the age 1 will that make it harder or impossible to wean??

My ped told me to nurse him as long as possible. The benifits are great! When I told my mother this she gasped and said I thought you where weaning at 1? You know it will be harder and near impossible to wean him. Is this ture? I want him to child led wean but if he shows no signs at around 2 then I will have too bc I will already get bad judgments from family and friends.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it shouldnt, i bf my son until he was 14mths and he took that bottle like nobody's business, lol.
    Anonymous

• I think if your child is attached to nursing now, he will be attached later, too. Weaning is just another step in growing independant. I nursed for 21 months, and dont think she would have weaned on her own. At about 18 months, she just felt too old to nurse in my opinion so we worked on weaning slowly. I have no regrets, I know it was best for her. You should nurse for as long as you are comfortable.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• If it were impossible to wean them after age one I would have a 8 and 5 y/o attached to me. My mom also had issues with me going past age one, I honestly bvelive it is a generation thing, they were taught not to breastfeed or only limitedly brestfeeed. It was very taboo and not encouraged.

It is great if you can and want to breastfeed past age one, My oldest only breastfeed for 8 weeks but my other two made it to shortly before their 3rd birthdays. Both my children did wean on their own with a little encouragement. I wont say it is easy because for many children breastfeeding is also a comfort so anytime they get hurt, are tired, or want mommy they tend to grab their comfort object lol. even now my 5 y/o will lay on me so she can touch my neck when she doesnt feel good. It is however entirely possible to wean after age one with a little encouragement and patience from you.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Nurse for as long as you and baby are comfortable. Don't let anyone tell you different, family included. If you want to do child-led weaning, DO IT. Don't worry about what other people think. As long as the breastfeeding is going well and mother and baby are both happy there is no reason to stop, and for the record kids don't nurse forever, they lose the ability to suckle.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 11:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Ditto to the above post.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I BF until my DD was almost 2, we had no problem with weaning.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 12:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• My daughter had no problems weaning herself at age 2. Every toddler will wean. It's part of their development. :)
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:29 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Actually, if you don't bother doing anything...the weaning will be the easiest in the world. Don't offer, don't refuse starting at the first birthday. Baby will self wean. It's HARDER when mom tries to lead.

And know that weaning begins with the very first bite of solids. So at six months you can tell mom you've begun the weaning process.

It's actually harder to wean younger babies. They're smart and know what they need better than we do.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:28 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I think that only holds true for FF'd babies. It's easy for them to have a bottle with them wherever they are. Much more difficult to do that with a boob. Toddlers desire their independence.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Babyled weaning is always easiest. The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Certainly give her a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2009