My boss yelled at my mom because I was admitted to the hospital

I was having difficulty breathing, like I couldnt get in any air at all . I was in so much pain I couldnt handle it so i called my mom to take me to ER. I was born with a heart defect so it scared me that I was having this problem. I was scheduled to work tonight, so after she dropped me off, my mom went to my work to explain to my boss what was going on and to get info for my insurance company (i have it through them but havent recieved my card or anything yet). My boss started yelling at my mom because I wasnt coming into work and I should have printed out the thing that was emailed to me(never got an email from them)She finally got the # for my mom and told her that i had better come into tomorrow or there would be serious reprocusions for me to pay. Hello! I was in the damn ER because I couldnt breathe! I cant wait to get a real job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• Did you have an actual question, or are you just venting? As long as you get a doctors excuse, you should be fine. Good Luck hon!
    Plus-size-mommy

Answer by Plus-size-mommy at 11:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Make sure you get a note from your doctor like the pp said. I hope your boss is in a better mood by the time you have to deal with her. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Get a note from the hospital saying officially that, that's where you were. Then lay into your boss and let them know that their behaviour and attack on your mother was unacceptable and inappropraite.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• There was a lawyer on tv yesterday saying that they cannot fire you if you take the ER/dr papers in as per most company's policies.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i would be calling my boss' boss, and looking in to the disabilities act, if you were born with a heart defect then what you were going through could have been a serious medical problem ( i hope everything is ok now btw) i would confront my boss and make it perfectly clear that i know my rights on the matter and if anything like that EVER happens again and you are threatened with your job you will be contacting a lawyer, i would handle it in a professional way, i wouldnt be calling her out on it in front of others i would ask her for a meeting in private, maybe with another superviser as well so there is a witness to the conversation, heck if it were me i'd probably bring a tape recorder and tell her im recording this for my own protection. This behavior is unexceptable and honestly your boss' job should be on the line for it!
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 5:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• www.eeoc.gov

Also contact your state's department of labor

Answer by rkoloms at 6:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Hi Im OP. To the first answer, yes I was just venting. I know legally they can't fire me for being in the ER. I do have paperwork and a doctors note to prove it. I am ok though. I was diagnosed with Pluerisy, which just means that my lungs and throat are severely inflammed. I was cleaning for Christmas (the inlaws are coming this weekend ) and was using bleach among other bathroom cleaners, and apparently I had breathed too much of it in, which caused the lining of my lungs to become chemically burned. So, I will be okay, it just reall hurts. Apparently this happens a lot around this time of year the doctor said. But in regard to my original vent, I was just mad that my boss was yelling at my mom infront of my other co workers and just being so rude. She is a very mean lady in general, but I mean you'd think she'd have somewhat of a heart. Plus, I have never missed a shift or called out and I am always on time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I would go over his head, call his boss, explain to them that you really need this job, but that you feel this was totally out of line for him to yell at your mother!! If I was your mother I would have let him have it!!!!
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 9:33 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I have to agree with PP, if I was your mother, I would have handled it for you and you probably wouldn't have known about it until it was time for you to go back to work. Sounds like a crappy company al the way around. BTW make sure to never mix ammonia with bleach. It is deadly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• legally they cant do n e thing if you have a drs excuse
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2009