What would you have done if you were the parent?

Me and my husband were at the grocery store and we saw this 9-10 possibly 11 year old yelling and hitting his mom. she was barely doing anything and he was causing a huge scene on purpose!!!! I was shocked, i know i never did stuff like that at that age or I would have been slapped. and i have a sister that age and she never pulls that- I don't have i child that age so i don't know exactly what i would do but i was just in shock he would treat his mother that way and she would let him do it...

the funny side to this story was his brother (they looked like twins) turned around socked him in the face and told him to shut up... didn't work but at least the other 9 to 11 year old knew how to show respect. I've never seen a brat like that before, I hope my kid doesn't pull that shit.

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 11:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, my son is only a year old and knows better then to hit DH and I. The only form of diciplin we use is diversion and time outs and our son is better behaved them most children twice his age. If I were that child's mother, first I would firmly let that child know his behaviour is innapropirate and mean. Then if he continued, I would pack the kids up and leave the store. Promptly upon getting home he would be sent to his room and all privliages would be taken away. If the behaviour continued he would lose all privliages for the rest of the week. Ontop of being grounded. Only being allowed to go to school and home.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• wELL i would never raise my child to act that way but if by chance i turn out to be a shitty mother lol i would have popped the shit out of him in front of everyone id rather have ppl staring because im disciplining my child than have them staring because hes disciplining me!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Honestly I wouldnt immediately think the child was bad, I would be sitting there looking for signs that he had some other issue (this is one of the side effects of having a child with autism, we moms analyze every situation first). If however there were no other issues I would leave the store and his brother punching him in public I would not find funny at all i would be embarassed. If I had seen this, I probably would have said something (thats just how I am) there is no excuse for one child to hit another even if one is hitting the mom, mom needs to be the one to deal with it. Sounds like this mom is probably overwhelmed and needs some kind words about how to help her son with anger management.

You also have to consider many parents have real fears about doing anything in public anymore with cameras and other people who are judgemental and love to call CPS .
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I hate seeing that! I work at a grocery store...and sad to say, but I have seen it a few times.You better belive if it were my kid I would have sat on him if I had to, and dragged him out of the store. I don't know what is wrong with mothers who allow that.I mean it's diff when you are physically unable to do anything, like disabled or something, but otherwise give me a break.How do you think they are going to treat other people when they grow up, like their wives? Great parenting.
    cwaters13

Answer by cwaters13 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Well I do have an 11 yo and he knows better, but this could have been a child with special needs. Many special needs kids look totally normal - I know I work with special needs kids and if you didn't know, you'd never know just by looking. Anyway a child that looks totally normal, may have issues and not be able to control themselves. Yes, the child still does need discipline, and not in the form of his brother socking him one, but it has to be carefully tailored to that individual child.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Assuming there is nothing medically wrong with the child... That wouldn't happen to us becasue we demand respect and even now at 2 1/2 if he starts acting up in public he gets taken out to the car and either gets spanked (if he has had warnings) or gets 'talked to' by daddy. That ALWAYS does the trick. Daddy just takes him out and tells him very sternly that it is not ok to act like that, no matter where we are.

If my child was that age and acting like that, the first scream or hit we would be going outside for a spanking. By that age, they would not need warnings for that behavior, they would know better!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• well, assuming their isn't anything wrong with him besides being a little punk I would use my wreseling move and twist his arm behind his back and teach him a good lesson! If it was really bad I would call the cops on his ass! Leave him in jail for a few hours maybe that would scare the shit out of him!
    Anonymous

• With our society now being so quick to call CPS for everything. I can in a way see why the mother didn't attempt to discipline her child.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Trust me when I say you raise your children to be that way. I have 4 kids in different age groups and they would NEVER behave that way in public or at home. Not that my kids are perfect, but they are respectful.
    Anonymous

• My first thought was that he was special needs. Clients of mine have a little boy who is 4 and has genetic condtion. He is a big 4 yr old and is getting hard to restrain. I don't know what they are going to do when he gets about the age of the kid you saw in the store.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2009