Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have any problems with mold in your house?

We recently found mold on our walls and our windows! It shouldn't be a big surprise considering we have a basement that always floods. I feel desparate! Especially since we are on a tight budget. Anyone with experiance?

Answer Question
 
aklebeyers

Asked by aklebeyers at 12:41 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 3 (19 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • I have had some issues with mold, but none that serious. I just moved out of a house that had a roof leak and therefore had water damage in the attic, that went undetected for who knows how long. We were having symptoms of mold allergies but never got tested because we ended up moving out of the house and all the symptoms went away. I do know from my own research that ANY mold problem should be taken care of by a professional because if you try to treat the problem or remove the mold yourself you will end up disturbing the mold and putting more mold spores in the air. Certain types of mold can lead to SEVERE illness and even death, so if you visibly see mold on your walls you NEED to get someone out ASAP to look at it and at least test it for you to see if it is a toxic mold. Good luck!
    AprilDJC

    Answer by AprilDJC at 12:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • We did have mold in our bathroom, we tore every wall out and put new drywall up. When we remodeled the bathroom, we found the cause of the problem. There was a water leak in the pipes, that my hubby fixed. This is really the only way to get rid of mold, it's a pain in the ass, but worth it in the end. Drywall is cheap right now, and if your hubby can do the work, it's really not that much to do. Good luck
    ronjwake

    Answer by ronjwake at 12:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Yeah, my hubby is not a mr fix it. Its on all the exterior walls of the house. I've got a fealing it's not looking good. Seems like we're going to have a long road ahead of us. Any other advice would be much appriciated! :)
    aklebeyers

    Answer by aklebeyers at 1:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Only in the fridge!
    LOL jk
    *okay-okay, the occassional tupperwear dish pushed into the back 40 of the fridge has been known to grow a beard a time or two when I had to go back to work full time...
    ....Yep, being laid off sure has made my fridge sparkle!



    But seriously-Thoughts and well wishes to you if you are going through that-
    I would think an inspection would have to be done, right? I'll ask DH-He does QA/QC work for a major construction company and see what he says...
    NICNLV

    Answer by NICNLV at 3:28 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

  • Thanks! Would love to hear what he has to say. SO, here is a little update. My husband went downstairs and started pulling apart some of our finished basement. And behind one part of the wall, he found mold going up some of the wall. But he said it was only like 20% up the wall. So that's good...cause we thought it would go up the majority of the wall! So, things are looking better than we thought. We live in a brick house that is almost a hundred years old. We are starting to tackle the small parts upstairs a little bit at a time and the downstairs one wall at a time. Things are looking up, we'll see how fast it returns! :)
    aklebeyers

    Answer by aklebeyers at 9:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • Oh.....and would you know...I opened up my electric bill and it was $50 bucks! It usually $250 every month because we do an equalizer program. So Merry CHRISTmas to us! I think the big guy upstairs is watching out for us! :)
    aklebeyers

    Answer by aklebeyers at 9:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

  • I moved into an apartment that had a mold issue in the bathroom. For various reasons we could not just move back out, so I tackled the problem myself. I'm not overly paranoid about mold and didn't call the professionals. But what I did do was call Mr. Clorox. I bleached the holy living tar out of everything. I washed the walls with bleach water and sprayed bleach right on the tile in the bathroom. After it died, I recaulked the tub. Lysol also works on mold, by the way. After I killed it all and clean everything up, I painted using Kilz primer first as it is good at blocking things and letting stains seep through. Then I put on a couple of coats of paint on top. I then always made sure the fans were on or the window open when we took a shower. The moisture in the air is undoubtedly where the mold got its start.
    BeckysWorld

    Answer by BeckysWorld at 1:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.