When? *Christians*

When did just believing in God stop being enough? Now it's not THAT you believe it's WHAT you believe and HOW you worship. There's so many rules and if you don't follow the right ones you're hell bound.

I'm no Angel

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• For me I try not forget the bigger message that Jesus tried to teach and that's to have love and compassion for everyone. You can't let the rules get in the way of trying to love one another and care for the poor. I'm reading a really good book right now called the A Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs. It's written by an man raised in a secular Jewish home but considers himself an Agnostic.   He wanted to understand more about religion and faith. He is trying to live out the bible literally for a year. I'm not even half way trough the story yet, but its been really interesting reading about his efforts to live as close to the word of the Bible as possible.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:43 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• it's like your parents, you have to obey them and respect them and follow their household rules. My kids love is enough for me, but they must obey me and dh in order for things to go well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I don't get it either. I know, being a Christian, that I believe in God and Jesus as my saviour. I know we are meant to live our lives in a Godly manner which to me means kindness and respect for others as well as ourselves, helping others, and living up to a certain standard of morals. I think we all "know" in ourselves how we are suppose to live and what we are suppose to believe. I read the Bible, and it speaks to me and tells me what I need to know. I know some argue and say that Christians just take what we want out of the Bible, but in my case at least I know that is not true. I do believe in the ten commandments. But sometimes its SO hard to follow them! I don't think I am in a position to tell ANYONE what they are suppose to believe, and how they are suppose to live because I don't know what THEY got from what their faith tells them.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:13 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• If your point is no one should judge you, you're right.
    But I have to admit, even the Bible says it's not enough just to believe in God for "even the Devils believe and tremble." God says we need to love Him, and if we love Him, we "keep His commandments." No, none of us are angels, but if you are not striving to obey him, you might want to examine your motives and find out if you Love him. I don't say that to be judgemental, I go through this all the time in my own walk.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• adelicious has a point about believing in God is not enough. The things that he wants from us can be difficult but we can at least try to follow his commands. He loved us first and he knows whats best for us.

1 John 5:3; 4:19

. 3 For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome

As for us, we love, because he first loved us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Jesus said, "If you love me, you will obey my commands. And my commands are not burdensome."

LOVING God is what we are commanded to do, but when we love God we want to be pleasing to Him. And we are also called to encourage other people too. It is simple. If we are reading our Bibles and praying, we will know what to do and we will want to do it.

"For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him." Philippians 2:13

I know that I love Him sooooo much, and I don't try and be holy so that I can tell myself that I am better than other people. I just want to be close to Him, and one day I would really like to hear Him say to me "Well done, My good and faithful servant."

Some people just want to escape the flames, for me that is not "enough" -- I want to make Him smile.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• The reformation caused this confusion. For they taught faith alone. But when you look deeper it's not just faith only, for faith without works is dead as is works without faith. As others have said even the Devil believes in God and Christ.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• What Cinnamon said. :-)

If we love Him, being obedient is a pleasure and an honor. We can not truly love Him and choose to live our own way. His commandments are given out of love, to keep us safe, just as the rules we have for our own children. He wants us free from sin, truly free. To get free we must accept Jesus as Lord as well as Savior. How can we call Him Lord and not obey Him?

(Luke 6:46; Matthew 7:21-27; Rom. 6:16; Acts 10:35; Hebrews 5:9 ; Romans 6:17,18; 1 Peter 1:22,23; John 15:14 )
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• God's commandments are not a burden. "his commandments are not burdensome." 1John 5:3
    And following Jesus is a pleasure and not so hard. "Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and you will find refreshment for your souls. For my yoke is kindly and my load is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

If you find things otherwise I wonder if you haven't found the Truth yet?
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 7:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I agree with these ladies that it's not JUST about believing, and that the bible says even Satan believes.

But, its also NOT just about following Gods "rules" either. The bible makes it clear that doing good things (works) does not make you good enough. Jesus IS the only one who can bridge the gap between us and God, and if we ask Him to, He will! ~ It's too simple, really. And we all have a hard time believing it, and try to make it more complicated.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2009