Why do elderly women cut their hair so short?

Why do YOU think they do?

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think there are a couple of reasons. First, it is easier to care for. Second, some women get it short because when they get older, it gets brittle and breaks. Keeping it short helps with that. And third, there hair may thin out and it show as much when short. These are just some of the reasons I have heard older women give for having short hair when they get older. M~

Answer by Ks_mom94 at 5:21 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I think it's easier for them to take care of. They just have it cut and permed once a month or so and then don't have to do much with it the rest of the time. My DH made me promise to never cut my hair like that when we get old!!

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• It is usually becuase it gets very thin and keeping it lnoger acentuated this fact. I am in my mid 40's and I am understanding more and more why as my hair is thinning out and my forehead is getting bigger.. hahaha, but true!!

Answer by mom2priceboys at 1:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I think the same as the first post...because it is easier to take care of...that is why my grandma does...

I cant wait to have "old lady hair" ... ever since I started having kids and got married, my hair is getting shorter and shorter lol... I alreayd have my hairstyle icked out for my 40s, 50s, and on lol..

I hate seeing old women with longgg hair.

Answer by glamomomo at 1:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I take it you mean the Q-tips? Yes it is because it is easier for them to care for and also it is because most of them have thinning hair and it makes it less noticeable when they cut it short and perm it. I am so glad my elderly mother has chosen to leave hers really long to her butt and just let it be, but she has alot of daughters and granddaughters that help her with it all the time, and also she is one of the very few I have ever seen that still has alot more hair then most people well ever have.

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I think that it is because short hair looks more dignified, and long hair is more youthful. Some women are proud of growing older, and this is their way of showing it?

Answer by Joylynn77 at 1:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Long hair on an elderly woman just makes her look older.

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• My Mom had beautiful silvery gray hair that was in long layers. She looked fabulous all the time with her long styled silver mane.

Answer by pnwmom at 2:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I don't think long hair on an ederly woman makes them look older my mother has long hair white hair and it is thick and shinny and she gets compliments everywhere she goes on her hair. She tried it short and permed but that made her look older

Answer by lbranta at 2:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I asked my grandmother once why she keeps her hair short now and she said it's because as she aged, her hair became brittle and was constantly breaking, no matter what types of products she used to prevent it...

Answer by onecuteladybug2 at 2:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2009