Do you judge people?

If you were to be completely honest, do you find yourself judging others? For instance, if you saw a well dressed woman with a perfect manicure and hair walking through a thrift store, would you think she was out of her element? Or if you saw an old, toothless man wearing mismatched clothes walking towards you, would you think he lead a hard life and should be pitied? If you don't judge people, is it because of a lesson you learned about having the wrong impression about someone? Or is it that you've never judged anyone ever, for any reason? Not even a "wow, he/she is an idiot!" or "What a stupid bitch!" or "Wow, is that person ugly!" or "I don't want my kid around that maniac!" Or something to that affect?
I already know its not good to judge people, so please don't bother telling me that! I'm just wondering if it is natural to judge others based on their appearance and actions, or if I'm way off base.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it would be impossible not to. I mean, we need to be willing to get to know people and not treat people different or unfairly -- that is wrong. If I see an old man with a veterans hat on sitting outside the library with a shopping cart. I mean common sense tells you that he probably has a story.

It isn't wrong to notice people and how they look. We expect everyone to do it or else we would never take off our pajamas and brush our hair. Right?

What is wrong it to treat people different because we make an incorrect assumption.

JMPO
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• The question isn't do we judge for we all do. Those of you say you don't are lying, The question is do we judge for the wrong reasons? To feel better about ourselves in our own minds? This goes back to the plank and splinter. When we judge others we must also judge ourselves. Put the mirror up to our own face and really look at what we see. The reflection of what we see in others can only help to improve oursleves. For how many times have seen others do something, then think wow OK I do that and it looks really bad from this angle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• BTW great question
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Of course i judge people. I can't help but to automatically categorize them somewhere in my brain. But that's not to say that that first entry gets stuck there. Oh no. Just like files in a filing cabinet i can move it when/if it becomes clear that i put it in the wrong place. Our brains were made to function this way. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to tell the difference between dogs and ducks. Dogs go in the 4 legged animal group and ducks go in the two legged animal group. Same reason why so many LO's will call ALL 4 legged animals Dogs (or cats or whatever they have learned). They made a judgment call based on the fact that the animal has 4 legs. Of course, they filed it incorrectly ...and they learn that later and move it to it's correct spot. Feline 4 legged animal.

I hope that makes sense.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• See, yesterday, someone told me that they never judge, and that judging people wasn't really a normal thing to do. Not even to have a first impression! I think she was just trying to come off as being so much more evolved than me, or something. Like, to judge someone was beneath her, and she's always just been better than that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Aha you see she judged. She is judgeing everybody else as less then her because she supposely doesn't judge. That's one of those that I would have called her out on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• To never judge anyone would be almost impossible, but I make a conscience effort to stop myself when I catch myself thinking things like that.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:33 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• I think just about any opinion you have is a judgement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Everyone judges; it's human nature and necessary for our survival. We judge people and situations all the time. There is a difference between that and simply judging someone because we think it makes us superior to them.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• i really think its human nature, but im going to pose a question right back, is it judgements or your personal oppinion? because like take my sil for exsample, she basically abonded her 3 of her 4 kids, after a 10 yr relationship with my brother leaving all four of the kids to be with another woman, (my brother is by no means in a better sitution then her) anyhow i have my opinions as to what she is doing however i dont feel that i am any better then her, i know we are all sinners but like sahmamax2 said its kind of nec. for our survival for exsample a cm friend of mine just found out her neighbor who she had become friends with on some level, she found out he has a very violent history and now wants him to stay away, she felt that something was off before finding out about his history this is keeping her safe by her judgements of him
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 8:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2009